Michigan is a national leader in several fresh and processing vegetables with an annual value of over $210 million from 110,000 acres. Michigan State University Extension supports this industry with research and education for economic disease, insect and weed control, reduced input cultural practices, plant nutrition, irrigation, new technology and crop introduction. Activities also include food safety, labor and other issues relevant to today’s producers. Michigan State University researchers and educators have a proven record of working closely with individual growers and commodity groups to strengthen this industry and maintain its viability.
July 30, 2014 | Ron Goldy | Cool conditions continue to slow crop growth and development slowing harvest.
July 30, 2014 | Ben Werling | Cool weather has challenged crop development and favored some crop diseases not typically present at observed levels.
July 30, 2014 | Lina Rodriguez Salamanca | Dry conditions predominated in southeast Michigan, cooler temperatures have slowed down crop development and delayed some planting of fall crops. It is time to implement a management strategy for carrot foliar blights.
July 30, 2014 | Ben Phillips | Cool wet weather may reduce pollination service from honey bees in some vine crops.
July 30, 2014 | Ben Phillips | Honey is coming off and swarms are continuing later this year. Here’s some tips for moving bees out of the supers.
July 29, 2014 | Phil Tocco | With the adoption of the 2009 Food Code, some changes in produce handling may be necessary at farmer’s markets. If you sell lettuce and other leafy greens, you might want to consider changes in handling to ensure quality and legal compliance.
July 29, 2014 | Phil Tocco | Risk of foodborne illness in leafy greens can’t be eliminated, but there are steps growers and farm marketers can do to reduce the incidence of foodborne illnesses in leafy greens.
July 25, 2014 | Julianna Wilson | One adult brown marmorated stink bug has been captured in a trap next to a peach orchard near Niles, Michigan in Berrien County, but no other detections have been reported.
July 25, 2014 | Marilyn Thelen | Farm drainage has been increasing land productivity since its introduction during the colonial times in the United States. However, there is concern today more than ever about proper management to protect surface water quality.
July 25, 2014 | Marilyn Thelen | Farmers, researchers and crop advisors from across the Midwest will travel to Ames, Iowa for the Resilient Ag Conference, August 5-7.
To find an MSU Extension expert who covers your location or to find an expert in your area of interest, please visit the MSU Extension Expert Search. To reach an MSU Extension county office, call toll-free 1-888-678-3464.
Find an Expert»
Events»View more events »
Date: Aug 5, 2014
Location: 1066 Bogue Street, MSU Campus Plant & Soil Sciences Bldg. (1st floor), East Lansing, MI 48823
Date: Aug 9, 2014
Location: Holy Cross Church, 30650 Six Mile Road, Livonia, MI 48152
Date: Aug 15, 2014
Location: MSU Horticultural Research Center (6686 South Center Highway, Traverse City, MI 49684)
- Agrifood Safety Minute
- Agrifood Safety Work Group
- Black dot (E3181)
- Breakfast on the Farm
- Brown leaf spot (E3182)
- Caterpillar Pests in Cole Crops (E3165)
- Cost of Production of Machine-harvested Pickling Cucumbers in Michigan, 2010
- Cover Crop Choices for Michigan Vegetables (E2896)
- Enviroweather Weather Data and Pest Modeling
- Farm Information Resource Management (FIRM)
- Farm Soil Sampling
- Fertilizer Recommendation Program
- Great Lakes Fruit, Vegetable and Farm Market EXPO
- Growing Michigan Agriculture Proceedings
- Integrated Pest Management Resources
- Michigan State University Hausbeck Lab (plant disease)
- Michigan State University Organic Farming Exchange
- Michigan State University Student Organic Farm
- Michigan State University Szendrei Lab (pest management)
- MSU Diagnostics Lab
- National Good Agricultural Practices Program
- Potato Late Blight Risk Monitoring
- Restricted Use Pesticide (RUP) test locations
- Soil and Plant Nutrient Lab
- Vegetable Team
- Vegetable Weed Control
- Weather - Drought
- Weed Control Guide for Vegetable Crops (E0433)