Michigan is a national leader in several fresh and processing vegetables with an annual value of over $210 million from 110,000 acres. Michigan State University Extension supports this industry with research and education for economic disease, insect and weed control, reduced input cultural practices, plant nutrition, irrigation, new technology and crop introduction. Activities also include food safety, labor and other issues relevant to today’s producers. Michigan State University researchers and educators have a proven record of working closely with individual growers and commodity groups to strengthen this industry and maintain its viability.
September 15, 2014 | David Schweikhardt | The 2014 farm bill contains new farm programs that will require complex decisions by farmers. There are actions that should be taken now to prepare for the decisions that must be made during the coming months.
September 15, 2014 | Diane L. Smith | Greg Morano shares his success story of growing his food sales. Find out how he uses placement, relationship, pricing and demos to increase sales.
September 15, 2014 | Julianna Wilson | More nymph and adult brown marmorated stink bugs were caught during the week of Sept. 5-11, 2014, at seven sites in Berrien, Lenawee and Ingham counties. Homeowners in Berrien County are starting to report them in greater number.
September 11, 2014 | Hal Hudson | Production recordkeeping is an important task for any vegetable or crop farm, whether small, medium or large in size.
September 11, 2014 | Diane L. Smith | Starting and growing a business in food, agriculture and natural resources is one focus of Connecting Entrepreneurial Communities Conference. Learn about the role of community leaders, and how entrepreneurs are important to your community.
September 11, 2014 | Diane L. Smith | Are you reaching your capacity in food processing and need someone else to make it in larger quantities? Learn how to shop for a co-packer to ensure you make an informed decision that will help your business grow.
September 11, 2014 | Diane L. Smith | Starting a commercial food business or changing your business activities to a commercial business will affect much more than just the licensing of your product. Learn where you can gain more knowledge about the steps needed to accomplish this.
September 9, 2014 | Zsofia Szendrei | Field evaluations of registered and experimental insecticides for managing Colorado potato beetle on potatoes.
September 9, 2014 | Willie Kirk | Achieve optimum coverage with Stadium on potato tubers entering storage by following these guidelines.
September 9, 2014 | Willie Kirk | Potato late blight has been severe throughout southern Michigan this year. Learn the symptoms and disease cycle, and take into consideration late-season recommendations.
To find an MSU Extension expert who covers your location or to find an expert in your area of interest, please visit the MSU Extension Expert Search. To reach an MSU Extension county office, call toll-free 1-888-678-3464.
Find an Expert»
Events»View more events »
Date: Sep 19, 2014
Location: Forgotten Harvest Farm 9153 Major Rd Fenton, MI 48430
Date: Sep 21, 2014
Location: MSU Upper Peninsula Research and Extension Center, E3774 University Dr. Chatham,. MI 49816
Date: Oct 1, 2014
Location: Muskegon County Building, 133 East Apple Avenue, Room 203, Muskegon, MI 49442
- Agrifood Safety Minute
- Agrifood Safety Work Group
- Black dot (E3181)
- Breakfast on the Farm
- Brown leaf spot (E3182)
- Caterpillar Pests in Cole Crops (E3165)
- Cost of Production of Machine-harvested Pickling Cucumbers in Michigan, 2010
- Cover Crop Choices for Michigan Vegetables (E2896)
- Enviroweather Weather Data and Pest Modeling
- Farm Information Resource Management (FIRM)
- Farm Soil Sampling
- Fertilizer Recommendation Program
- Great Lakes Fruit, Vegetable and Farm Market EXPO
- Growing Michigan Agriculture Proceedings
- Integrated Pest Management Resources
- Late blight alert for tomatoes and potatoes
- Michigan State University Hausbeck Lab (plant disease)
- Michigan State University Organic Farming Exchange
- Michigan State University Student Organic Farm
- Michigan State University Szendrei Lab (pest management)
- MSU Diagnostics Lab
- National Good Agricultural Practices Program
- Potato Late Blight Risk Monitoring
- Restricted Use Pesticide (RUP) test locations
- Soil and Plant Nutrient Lab
- Vegetable Team
- Vegetable Weed Control
- Weather - Drought
- Weed Control Guide for Vegetable Crops (E0433)