Whether you are new to gardening or a veteran, our vegetable gardening tip sheet will help you be successful from planting to harvest. Check out our “How to Grow” series in our Resources section for more information on growing specific vegetables.
Garden planning calendar
Where to put your garden
- Choose a smart site for your vegetable garden.
- Container gardening for vegetables and herbs
- How to grow a hydroponic garden
Build your garden soil
- Smart fertilizer use: A vegetable garden begins with a soil management plan.
- Caring for your soil tip sheet
Plan your garden on paper
Plant your vegetable garden
- Planting a smart vegetable garden
- Planting vegetables: includes list of cool and warm season crops
- Selecting healthy transplants
- Starting seeds
- Planting fall vegetable crops for your garden
Keep your plants growing
- Use integrated pest management (IPM) to manage garden problems.
- Identify and manage common pests and diseases.
- View videos on mulching to control weeds and adding row covers.
- Celery Fusarium yellows
- Potato late blight
- Potato verticillium wilt and early vine death
- Tomato bacterial canker
- Tomato early blight
- Tomato septoria leaf spot
- Tomato diseases in the home garden
- Blossom-end rot of tomato
- FAQ about late blight in potatoes and tomatoes
Harvest and preserving vegetables
- Individial tip sheets on using, storing and cooking with Michigan vegetables
- USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning
September 15, 2017 | Rebecca Krans | Participants will learn about healthy soils, season extension, helpful tips and tricks for vegetables, and gardening for pollinators and beneficial insects.
August 14, 2017 | Rebecca Finneran | If you haven’t heard of Michigan State University Extension’s Smart Gardening initiative, its goal is to promote earth friendly and sustainable practices that will save gardeners time, effort and money.
August 7, 2017 | Mariel Borgman | Find fresh Michigan-grown sweet corn in August and September.
July 28, 2017 | Diane Brown | Bring your garden and menus alive with herbs. Register now for the “Healthful, Homegrown Herbs” workshop Aug. 24 to learn how to incorporate their amazing flavors into your menus.
July 14, 2017 | Mary K. Hausbeck | Scout and treat now to preserve your crop.
July 3, 2017 | Mary Hausbeck | Homeowners should be on alert for downy mildew in their garden.
June 27, 2017 | Kendra Wills | Look for Land Grant Goods products this summer on campus.
June 19, 2017 | Rebecca Krans | Smart Gardening practices for growing herbs in your home garden.
June 6, 2017 | Mariel Borgman | Michigan-grown Asparagus has a short season that Michiganders look forward to each year.
June 1, 2017 | Terry McLean | Edible Flint's Annual Distribution Day celebrates Flint's abundant food gardens.
Find an Expert
Sep 23, 2017 – Sep 23, 2017 | Cowboy Lake Park, 400 Riverhills Rd, Kingsford, MI 49802
Sep 26, 2017 | Flint Farmers' Market 300 E 1st St, Flint, MI 48502
Oct 4, 2017 | Saginaw County MSU Extension 1 Tuscola Street, #100 Saginaw, MI 48706
Oct 14, 2017 | Quality Inn 1021 N. State St., St. Ignace, MI 49781
Dec 5, 2017 – Dec 7, 2017 | DeVos Place Conference Center, 303 Monroe Ave. NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503