Whether you are new to gardening or a veteran, our vegetable gardening tip sheet will help you be successful from planting to harvest. Check out our “How to Grow” series in our Resources section for more information on growing specific vegetables.
Garden planning calendar
Where to put your garden
- Choose a smart site for your vegetable garden.
- Container gardening for vegetables and herbs
- How to grow a hydroponic garden
Build your garden soil
- Smart fertilizer use: A vegetable garden begins with a soil management plan.
- Caring for your soil tip sheet
Plan your garden on paper
Plant your vegetable garden
- Planting a smart vegetable garden
- Planting vegetables: includes list of cool and warm season crops
- Selecting healthy transplants
- Starting seeds
- Planting fall vegetable crops for your garden
Keep your plants growing
- Use integrated pest management (IPM) to manage garden problems.
- Identify and manage common pests and diseases.
- View videos on mulching to control weeds and adding row covers.
- Celery Fusarium yellows
- Potato late blight
- Potato verticillium wilt and early vine death
- Tomato bacterial canker
- Tomato early blight
- Tomato septoria leaf spot
- Tomato diseases in the home garden
- Blossom-end rot of tomato
- FAQ about late blight in potatoes and tomatoes
Harvest and preserving vegetables
- Individial tip sheets on using, storing and cooking with Michigan vegetables
- USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning
July 14, 2017 | Mary K. Hausbeck | Scout and treat now to preserve your crop.
July 3, 2017 | Mary Hausbeck | Homeowners should be on alert for downy mildew in their garden.
June 27, 2017 | Kendra Wills | Look for Land Grant Goods products this summer on campus.
June 19, 2017 | Rebecca Krans | Smart Gardening practices for growing herbs in your home garden.
June 6, 2017 | Mariel Borgman | Michigan-grown Asparagus has a short season that Michiganders look forward to each year.
June 1, 2017 | Terry McLean | Edible Flint's Annual Distribution Day celebrates Flint's abundant food gardens.
May 25, 2017 | Sarah Rautio | Michigan Master Gardeners in Iosco County developed a lasagna-style heritage garden that is not only sustainable, but beautiful.
May 11, 2017 | Dixie Sandborn | More people are experimenting with growing fresh food with container gardening.
April 10, 2017 | Diane Brown | Along with lots of showers, April brings two free programs for gardeners covering low maintenance woody ornamentals on April 11, and vegetable gardening and composting tips on April 17.
April 6, 2017 | Alan Jaros | MSU Tollgate Farm is rolling out new Evenings in the Garden spring series starting April 15, 2017.
Find an Expert
Jul 22, 2017 | Independence Oaks County Park Wint Nature Center 9501 Sashabaw Road Clarkston, MI 48304
Jul 22, 2017 | Kent/MSU Extension 775 Ball Avenue, NE Grand Rapids 49503
Jul 27, 2017 | Portage Township Community Building, W17361 Davis St., Curtis, MI 49820
Jul 28, 2017 | Watersmeet Township Community Center, N4660 US Hwy 45, Watersmeet, MI 49969
Sep 23, 2017 – Sep 23, 2017 | Cowboy Lake Park, 400 Riverhills Rd, Kingsford, MI 49802