Whether you are new to gardening or a veteran, our vegetable gardening tip sheet will help you be successful from planting to harvest. Check out our “How to Grow” series in our Resources section for more information on growing specific vegetables.
Garden planning calendar
Where to put your garden
- Choose a smart site for your vegetable garden.
- Container gardening for vegetables and herbs
- How to grow a hydroponic garden
Build your garden soil
- Smart fertilizer use: A vegetable garden begins with a soil management plan.
- Caring for your soil tip sheet
Plan your garden on paper
Plant your vegetable garden
- Planting a smart vegetable garden
- Planting vegetables: includes list of cool and warm season crops
- Selecting healthy transplants
- Starting seeds
- Planting fall vegetable crops for your garden
Keep your plants growing
- Use integrated pest management (IPM) to manage garden problems.
- Identify and manage common pests and diseases.
- View videos on mulching to control weeds and adding row covers.
- Celery Fusarium yellows
- Potato late blight
- Potato verticillium wilt and early vine death
- Tomato bacterial canker
- Tomato early blight
- Tomato septoria leaf spot
- Tomato diseases in the home garden
- Blossom-end rot of tomato
- FAQ about late blight in potatoes and tomatoes
Harvest and preserving vegetables
- Individial tip sheets on using, storing and cooking with Michigan vegetables
- USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning
October 4, 2017 | Diane Brown | Join us Oct. 26 in Mason, Michigan, to learn a variety of Asian recipes, how to grow Asian greens and the health benefits of Asian cuisine.
September 15, 2017 | Rebecca Krans | Participants will learn about healthy soils, season extension, helpful tips and tricks for vegetables, and gardening for pollinators and beneficial insects.
August 14, 2017 | Rebecca Finneran | If you haven’t heard of Michigan State University Extension’s Smart Gardening initiative, its goal is to promote earth friendly and sustainable practices that will save gardeners time, effort and money.
August 7, 2017 | Mariel Borgman | Find fresh Michigan-grown sweet corn in August and September.
July 28, 2017 | Diane Brown | Bring your garden and menus alive with herbs. Register now for the “Healthful, Homegrown Herbs” workshop Aug. 24 to learn how to incorporate their amazing flavors into your menus.
July 14, 2017 | Mary K. Hausbeck | Scout and treat now to preserve your crop.
July 3, 2017 | Mary Hausbeck | Homeowners should be on alert for downy mildew in their garden.
June 27, 2017 | Kendra Wills | Look for Land Grant Goods products this summer on campus.
June 19, 2017 | Rebecca Krans | Smart Gardening practices for growing herbs in your home garden.
June 6, 2017 | Mariel Borgman | Michigan-grown Asparagus has a short season that Michiganders look forward to each year.
Find an Expert
Dec 5, 2017 – Dec 7, 2017 | DeVos Place Conference Center, 303 Monroe Ave. NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Jan 18, 2018 – Apr 26, 2018 | Bay College West, 2801 U.S. 2, Iron Mountain, MI 4801
Jan 24, 2018 – May 2, 2018 | Washtenaw Western Service Building, MSU Extension, 705 N. Zeeb Rd., Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Jan 24, 2018 – May 2, 2018 | Kalamazoo RESA - Wile Auditorium 1819 E. Milham Ave Portage, MI 490
Mar 1, 2018 – Jun 7, 2018 | Verkuilen Building, Assembly Rooms A&B 28115 Dunham Rd., Suite 12, Clinton Twp, MI 48036
Mar 8, 2018 – Jun 14, 2018 | Northwest Michigan Horticulture Research Center; 6686 S Center Hwy, Traverse City, MI 49684
Mar 10, 2018 – Jun 30, 2018 | Charles R. Drew Transition Center, 9600 Wyoming St., Detroit, MI 48204