Sheep & Goats
Michigan State University’s small ruminant Extension program supports the diverse needs of sheep and goat producers in the upper Midwest. Educational programming efforts focus on critical issues that affect all producers ranging from large commercial production to the small flock/herd owner.
March 31, 2015 | Melissa Elischer | Herds are beneficial for prey animals for many reasons. Understanding our animal’s behavior and why they act in certain ways helps minimize stress in moving, handling and housing.
March 31, 2015 | Melissa Elischer | Explore animal behaviors that can be puzzling to humans, but make complete sense to animals.
March 26, 2015 | Melissa Elischer | The Great Lakes Regional Dairy Conference Planning Committee hosts a professional development for youth to build communication and agricultural advocacy skills.
March 26, 2015 | Jim Isleib | How can cover crops and annual forage crops be included in pasture re-establishment on clay soils? Should they be?
March 19, 2015 | Makena Schultz | How asking a different set of questions can change a competitive experience from being about the project or showcase to being about the process and the life skills learned.
March 9, 2015 | Julie Thelen | Beyond the farm: Youth and adult leaders share their ideas for keeping animals and humans healthy at a recent statewide 4-H event.
March 9, 2015 | Julie Thelen | Local practices: Youth and adult leaders share their ideas for keeping animals and humans healthy at a recent statewide 4-H event.
March 6, 2015 | Suzanne Pish | Goat meat demand is on the rise in Michigan and in the United States.
March 3, 2015 | Gerald May | Community Considerations for Raising Livestock in Populated Areas is a workshop discussing local planning for livestock facilities in urban and suburban areas.
February 26, 2015 | Jim Isleib | Variety trials on agronomic crops of interest in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula provided useful information.
To find an MSU Extension expert who covers your location or to find an expert in your area of interest, please visit the MSU Extension Expert Search. To reach an MSU Extension county office, call toll-free 1-888-678-3464.
Find an Expert»
Events»View more events »
Date: Apr 25, 2015 - May 1, 2015
Location: Anthony Hall, Michigan State University, 474 S. Shaw Lane, East Lansing MI 48824
Date: Jul 16, 2015
Location: MSU Pavilion for Agriculture and Livestock Education, 4301 Farm Lane, Lansing, MI 48910
- 4-H Goat Production & Management
- 4-H Sheep Production & Management
- 4-H Veterinary Science
- Agricultural Literacy
- Breakfast on the Farm
- Farm Bill
- Forage Management Program
- Growing Michigan Agriculture Conference
- Integrated Parasite Management Program for Small Ruminants
- Managing Animal Mortalities
- Michigan MarketMaker
- Michigan Shepherd’s Weekend
- Small Ruminant Birth Management Program
- Small Ruminant Field Days
- Animal Heat Stress Management
- Emerging Issues in Animal Agriculture
- Farm Information Resource Management (FIRM)
- Growing Michigan Agriculture Proceedings
- Michigan 4-H Biological Sciences Project Snapshot (4H1622)
- Michigan 4-H Goat Project Snapshot (4H1611)
- Michigan 4-H Market Animal Project Record Book
- Michigan 4-H Meat Science Project Snapshot (4H1632)
- Michigan 4-H Sheep Project Snapshot (4H1619)
- MSU Environmental Quality for Agriculture
- MSU Sheep Teaching & Research Center
- MSU’s Animal Welfare and Behavior Group
- Odor Management Plans
- Weather - Drought
- Zoonotic Disease