Michigan State University Extension serves the pork industry by providing decisionmakers with unbiased, research-based information about all aspects of pork production. Using a multi-disciplinary approach, MSU Extension works to enhance the production of safe, nutritious, high-quality pork in an environmentally, economically sustainable and socially responsible manner.
MSU Extension provides education for all aspects of swine production, including intensively managed commercial operations, niche pork farms, sport farms, and youth show pig producers.
September 16, 2014 | Dennis Stein | Farms that have seen good commodity prices and profits along with Dairy and Beef prices at all-time highs are vulnerable for some real tax issues in 2014.
September 15, 2014 | David Schweikhardt | The 2014 farm bill contains new farm programs that will require complex decisions by farmers. There are actions that should be taken now to prepare for the decisions that must be made during the coming months.
September 3, 2014 | Dennis Stein | Current grain and dairy commodity markets updates are now available online.
September 2, 2014 | Jerry May | Manure application equipment setup to sidedress standing crops allowed these farmers to plant crops then spread manure.
August 29, 2014 | Nancy Thelen | The 2014 Breakfast on the Farm programs will soon be completed, and it is time for interested farm families to apply to host a 2015 event.
August 28, 2014 | Julie Thelen | If you have sat around the ring at a county fair or been moving an animal around the show ring, you have heard the comments of the judge. Knowing what those comments mean will help you learn more about the animal project.
August 28, 2014 | Jim Isleib | Low cost land and a laidback lifestyle may seem appealing, but the basics of successful farming in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula are the same as everywhere else: careful planning, efficient use of resources, adaptability, commitment and good luck.
August 27, 2014 | Melissa Elischer | This series of articles will introduce animal judging – what it is, the life skills it helps youth to develop, where it can take youth and why everyone should try it!
August 27, 2014 | Mark Thomas | Southwest Michigan Hispanic Grower Cooperation improving profitability through farmer educational knowledge
August 27, 2014 | Mary Dunckel | In an effort to connect consumers to Michigan farmers, Michigan State University Extension teamed up with Neiman’s Family Market to provide shoppers with a glimpse of a few farmers behind the food.
To find an MSU Extension expert who covers your location or to find an expert in your area of interest, please visit the MSU Extension Expert Search. To reach an MSU Extension county office, call toll-free 1-888-678-3464.
Find an Expert»
Events»View more events »
Date: Feb 27, 2015 - Feb 28, 2015
Location: Kettunen Center, 14901 4-H Drive, Tustin, MI 49688
Date: Feb 28, 2015 - Mar 1, 2015
Location: Kettunen Center, 14901 4-H Drive, Tustin, MI, 49688
- 4-H Swine Production & Management
- 4-H Veterinary Science
- Breakfast on the Farm
- Green & White Show
- Growing Michigan Agriculture Conference
- Managing Animal Mortalities
- Michigan MarketMaker
- Midwest Swine Nutrition Conference
- Professional Pork Producers Symposium
- Quality Assurance-Certifications
- Statewide Pork Industry Information Meetings
- Air Emissions and Animal Agriculture
- Animal Heat Stress Management Resources
- Artificial Insemination of Sows & Gilts (E2677)
- Emerging Issues in Animal Agriculture
- Farm Information Resource Management (FIRM)
- Growing Michigan Agriculture Proceedings
- Michigan CNMP DLL Template
- MSU Environmental Quality for Agriculture
- MSU Swine Teach & Research Center
- MSU’s Animal Welfare and Behavior Group
- Odor Management Plans
- Pork Quarterly
- Swine Breeding Systems for Alternative Pork Chains: Breed Options & Use (E3108)
- Swine Breeding Systems for Alternative Pork Chains: Breeding Programs (E3107)