Michigan State University Extension’s focus on organic agriculture encompasses all aspects of organic farming ranging from fruit and vegetable production to animal agriculture. Through educational programs and research, MSU Extension helps farmers build sustainable organic farms through strong integrated pest management and enhancing soil health.
August 25, 2014 | Erin Lizotte | Take this brief survey on identifying obstacles to economically and environmentally sustainable hop production.
August 22, 2014 | Diane Brown | In addition to dry matter testing, it is important to determine alpha acid levels before harvesting hops.
August 22, 2014 | Lyndon Kelley | Maximizing profit and returns on resource invested can be dependent on the last irrigation application this season.
August 22, 2014 | Erin Lizotte | As harvest approaches, growers should continue to scout for a number of pests and diseases, including aphids.
August 21, 2014 | Erin Lizotte | Determining the correct harvest date for hops is a mix of art and science and has a big impact on the quality of the final product.
August 20, 2014 | Fred Springborn | Late blight is widespread in much of the central Michigan region.
August 20, 2014 | Lina Rodriguez Salamanca | Rain events brought some relief to non-irrigated crops; more rain is forecasted. Continue protecting crops as the epidemic of tomato and potato late blight and cucurbit downy mildew continues and other disease can ramp up quickly in fields.
August 20, 2014 | Terry McLean | Plant disease pressures remain high for growers in urban and semi-rural small scale diversified vegetable farm fields, hoop-houses and market gardens. Harvest of many vegetable crops is well underway.
August 19, 2014 | Shelby Bollwahn | Using best management practices can help protect the environment. These practices can also improve the health and well-being of your animals and increase your farm’s profit.
August 15, 2014 | Curtis Talley Jr. | Irrigation water costs and availability in Michigan are considerably different than California in 2014.
To find an MSU Extension expert who covers your location or to find an expert in your area of interest, please visit the MSU Extension Expert Search. To reach an MSU Extension county office, call toll-free 1-888-678-3464.
Find an Expert»
Events»View more events »
Date: Aug 28, 2014
Location: 2435 N. Tallman Road Fowler, MI
Date: Oct 1, 2014
Location: Muskegon County Building, 133 East Apple Avenue, Room 203, Muskegon, MI 49442
- Advanced Soil Organic Matter Management
- Advanced Soil Organic Matter Management (E3137)
- Agrifood Safety Work Group
- Building Soil for Organic and Sustainable Farms
- Building Soil for Organic and Sustainable Farms (E3144)
- Center for Regional Food Systems
- Farm Information Resource Management (FIRM)
- Flaming as a Method of Weed Control in Organic Farming Systems (E3038)
- Great Lakes Fruit, Vegetable and Farm Market EXPO
- Growing Michigan Agriculture Proceedings
- Michigan State University Organic Farming Exchange
- Michigan State University Organic Pest Management
- Michigan State University Student Organic Farm
- Perennial Wheat
- Transitioning to Certified Organic in Michigan
- Weather - Drought
- Weather - Winter Injury in Plants