Michigan State University Extension’s focus on organic agriculture encompasses all aspects of organic farming ranging from fruit and vegetable production to animal agriculture. Through educational programs and research, MSU Extension helps farmers build sustainable organic farms through strong integrated pest management and enhancing soil health.
March 4, 2015 | Phil Tocco | When implementing irrigation practices to produce crops, growers should be mindful that the water being used doesn’t contaminate produce with food-borne illnesses.
March 4, 2015 | Phil Tocco | Manure can be a valuable plant nutrient source and a potential food safety hazard.
March 3, 2015 | Mark Longstroth | Low temperatures often depend on atmospheric conditions and the local topography. Calm conditions allow the temperatures to drop quickly after the sun goes down. You can track freezes with MSU’s Enviro-weather.
March 3, 2015 | Joanne Davidhizar | Direct farm marketers can start anew with tips for marketing, new crops, and commercial food product development by participating in the Direct Farm Marketing Tune-up March 24.
March 3, 2015 | Gerald May | Community Considerations for Raising Livestock in Populated Areas is a workshop discussing local planning for livestock facilities in urban and suburban areas.
February 26, 2015 | Jim Isleib | Variety trials on agronomic crops of interest in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula provided useful information.
February 26, 2015 | Jim Isleib | A recent series of cover crop educational meetings and discussions brought interesting new ideas into consideration.
February 26, 2015 | Lina Rodriguez Salamanca | A prerecorded webinar on vegetable disease management tactics is now available at the Online IPM Academy website.
February 26, 2015 | Paul Gross | Farmer survey identified benefits of cover crops in corn and soybean rotations.
February 26, 2015 | Ben Werling | Which asparagus varieties are available to the Michigan industry, and what do we know about them?
To find an MSU Extension expert who covers your location or to find an expert in your area of interest, please visit the MSU Extension Expert Search. To reach an MSU Extension county office, call toll-free 1-888-678-3464.
Find an Expert»
Events»View more events »
Date: Mar 24, 2015
Location: Washtenaw County Road Commission, 555 North Zeeb Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Date: Mar 28, 2015
Location: Les Cheneaux Culinary School, 186 S. Pickford Ave, Hessel, MI 49745
Date: Apr 10, 2015 - Apr 11, 2015
Location: L.V. Eberhard Conference Center, Grand Valley State University, 301 W. Fulton St., Grand Rapids, MI 49504
- Advanced Soil Organic Matter Management
- Advanced Soil Organic Matter Management (E3137)
- Agrifood Safety Work Group
- Building Soil for Organic and Sustainable Farms
- Building Soil for Organic and Sustainable Farms (E3144)
- Center for Regional Food Systems
- Farm Information Resource Management (FIRM)
- Flaming as a Method of Weed Control in Organic Farming Systems (E3038)
- Great Lakes Fruit, Vegetable and Farm Market EXPO
- Growing Michigan Agriculture Proceedings
- Michigan State University Organic Farming Exchange
- Michigan State University Organic Pest Management
- Michigan State University Student Organic Farm
- Perennial Wheat
- Transitioning to Certified Organic in Michigan
- Weather - Drought
- Weather - Winter Injury in Plants