Michigan State University Extension’s focus on organic agriculture encompasses all aspects of organic farming ranging from fruit and vegetable production to animal agriculture. Through educational programs and research, MSU Extension helps farmers build sustainable organic farms through strong integrated pest management and enhancing soil health.
September 19, 2014 | David Schweikhardt | There are many new provisions in the 2014 farm bill that landlords should be familiar with.
September 18, 2014 | Dennis Stein | Farms that have seen good commodity prices and profits along with Dairy and Beef prices at all-time highs are vulnerable for some real tax issues in 2014.
September 15, 2014 | David Schweikhardt | The 2014 farm bill contains new farm programs that will require complex decisions by farmers. There are actions that should be taken now to prepare for the decisions that must be made during the coming months.
September 8, 2014 | Andy Northrop | Connecting local hops with a local brewery allows participants to have a deeper connection to their local food systems.
September 5, 2014 | Joanne Davidhizar | Cottage to Commercial training will help you understand how to turn your food business idea into a commercial reality.
September 3, 2014 | Terry McLean | Plant disease pressures remain high for growers in urban and semi-rural small scale diversified vegetable farm fields, hoop-houses and market gardens as harvest continues.
September 3, 2014 | Ron Goldy | The pumpkin crop appears to be one of the bright spots this year. Plants have grown well during the season, fruit has colored early and harvest has begun from some fields.
September 3, 2014 | Ben Phillips | Multiple harvests and second plantings are going into September. More precipitation is anticipated.
September 3, 2014 | Ben Werling | Late-season diseases will challenge growers in the home stretch.
September 3, 2014 | Lina Rodriguez Salamanca | As harvest continues, rain events and humidity have been very conducive for disease development. Late blight of tomatoes and potatoes was confirmed in the area.
To find an MSU Extension expert who covers your location or to find an expert in your area of interest, please visit the MSU Extension Expert Search. To reach an MSU Extension county office, call toll-free 1-888-678-3464.
Find an Expert»
Events»View more events »
Date: Sep 30, 2014
Location: 219 North 4th Street; Niles, MI 49120
Date: Oct 1, 2014
Location: Muskegon County Building, 133 East Apple Avenue, Room 203, Muskegon, MI 49442
Date: Oct 18, 2014
Location: Maxwell's Pumpkin Farm, 4676 S. M-18, Beaverton, MI 48612
- Advanced Soil Organic Matter Management
- Advanced Soil Organic Matter Management (E3137)
- Agrifood Safety Work Group
- Building Soil for Organic and Sustainable Farms
- Building Soil for Organic and Sustainable Farms (E3144)
- Center for Regional Food Systems
- Farm Information Resource Management (FIRM)
- Flaming as a Method of Weed Control in Organic Farming Systems (E3038)
- Great Lakes Fruit, Vegetable and Farm Market EXPO
- Growing Michigan Agriculture Proceedings
- Michigan State University Organic Farming Exchange
- Michigan State University Organic Pest Management
- Michigan State University Student Organic Farm
- Perennial Wheat
- Transitioning to Certified Organic in Michigan
- Weather - Drought
- Weather - Winter Injury in Plants