Nursery & Christmas Trees
Michigan’s climate, soils, and centralized location combine to make Michigan a national leader in the production of landscape nursery stock and Christmas trees. Michigan State University Extension’s programing for the nursery and Christmas tree industries involves field Extension educators, campus based Extension specialists and researchers who provide timely and relevant educational programming. Our goal is deliver the latest science-based information to keep Michigan producers competitive and profitable in today’s economy.
April 20, 2011 | Jeff Andresen | An active jet stream indicates this weather will likely continue to the end of April.
April 18, 2011 | Mark Hansen | Michigan residents will be surprised to learn that over 8,000 wildfires occur each year in Michigan and that most of them happen in the spring.
April 15, 2011 | Dave Smitley | Pines weakened by these pests are susceptible to additional pest problems.
April 15, 2011 | Dennis Fulbright | Knowing the species of pine and the time of year you first see symptoms can help you identify the disease.
April 15, 2011 | Jill O’Donnell | Time to scout for Cooley and Eastern spruce gall adelgids.
April 14, 2011 | Mary Dunckel | Pesticide and mercury disposal in Michigan is safe, free and available at 18 sites throughout the state.
April 14, 2011 | Dale R. Mutch | Research and Education program supports innovators with competitive research and education grants.
April 14, 2011 | Dale R. Mutch | NCR-SARE supports state professional development programs and competitive grants for training agricultural professionals.
April 12, 2011 | Jeff Andresen | Most parts of the state are up to four weeks behind in growing degree day accumulations and the cool forecast will likely increase that gap.
April 1, 2011 | Erik Runkle | Steer future research by identifying your top insect, disease, weed, and PGR issues in a short IR-4 Program survey.
To find an MSU Extension expert who covers your location or to find an expert in your area of interest, please visit the MSU Extension Expert Search. To reach an MSU Extension county office, call toll-free 1-888-678-3464.
Find an Expert»
Events»View more events »
Date: Mar 12, 2014
Location: Portage District Library, West Lake Room, 300 Library Lane, Portage, MI 49002
Date: Mar 12, 2014
Location: Franklin Inn, 1070 E. Huron Avenue, Bad Axe MI, 48413
Date: Mar 19, 2014
Location: Wexford County MSU Extension, 401 N. Lake Street, Cadillac MI, 49601
- Biological Control of Insect Pests in Forested Ecosystems (E2679)
- Boxwood blight disease identified in North America
- Conducting a Water Application Uniformity Evaluation for a Micro Irrigation System in the Nursery
- Conducting a Water Application Uniformity Evaluation for an Overhead Sprinkler Irrigation System
- Enviroweather Weather Data and Pest Modeling
- Farm Soil Sampling
- Greenhouse Energy Conservation Strategies (E3160)
- Growing Michigan Agriculture Proceedings
- Integrated Pest Management Resources
- Michigan Christmas Tree Growers Association
- Michigan State University Christmas tree Area of Expertise Team
- Michigan State University Department of Forestry
- MSU Diagnostics Lab
- Restricted Use Pesticide (RUP) test locations
- Soil and Plant Nutrient Lab
- Weather - Drought