Nursery & Christmas Trees
Michigan’s climate, soils, and centralized location combine to make Michigan a national leader in the production of landscape nursery stock and Christmas trees. Michigan State University Extension’s programing for the nursery and Christmas tree industries involves field Extension educators, campus based Extension specialists and researchers who provide timely and relevant educational programming. Our goal is deliver the latest science-based information to keep Michigan producers competitive and profitable in today’s economy.
July 15, 2011 | Jill O’Donnell | Spruce needle rust can cause spruce trees to lose 25 to 75 percent of their new needles. Know how to reduce the impact of spruce needle rust to your Christmas tree fields and landscape.
July 15, 2011 | Jill O'Donnell and Howard Russell | Defoliation and browning of conifer foliage in the early summer may be the first signs of a sawfly infestation.
July 15, 2011 | Jill O’Donnell and Howard Russell | Eriophyid mites are being found in Colorado Blue and Black Hills spruce. Here’s advice for scouting and deciding whether to spray.
July 14, 2011 | Kelly Ewalt | Simple tips to keep your skin safe while farming.
July 13, 2011 | Aaron Pollyea | The 6-10 and 8-14 day outlook call for above normal temperatures and above normal precipitation.
July 8, 2011 | Dan Rossman | Ag technology equipment and services will be demonstrated at a field day in mid-Michigan on July 27.
July 5, 2011 | Thomas A. Dudek | Herbaceous perennial growers and retailers are encouraged to scout their Veronica (speedwell) for rust symptoms. Management includes disposal of infected plants and preventative fungicides.
July 1, 2011 | Dave Smitley | While predator mites usually control spider mites in the landscape, a miticide may be needed in nurseries where insecticides have previously been used.
June 29, 2011 | Jeanne Himmelein | A hands-on program for growers to learn how to manage their irrigation program effectively and efficiently.
June 29, 2011 | Mark Seamon | Can improvements in crop production offset the increased demand for crops?
To find an MSU Extension expert who covers your location or to find an expert in your area of interest, please visit the MSU Extension Expert Search. To reach an MSU Extension county office, call toll-free 1-888-678-3464.
Find an Expert»
Events»View more events »
- Biological Control of Insect Pests in Forested Ecosystems (E2679)
- Boxwood blight disease identified in North America
- Conducting a Water Application Uniformity Evaluation for a Micro Irrigation System in the Nursery
- Conducting a Water Application Uniformity Evaluation for an Overhead Sprinkler Irrigation System
- Enviroweather Weather Data and Pest Modeling
- Farm Soil Sampling
- Greenhouse Energy Conservation Strategies (E3160)
- Growing Michigan Agriculture Proceedings
- Integrated Pest Management Resources
- Michigan Christmas Tree Growers Association
- Michigan State University Christmas tree Area of Expertise Team
- Michigan State University Department of Forestry
- MSU Diagnostics Lab
- Restricted Use Pesticide (RUP) test locations
- Soil and Plant Nutrient Lab
- Weather - Drought