Nursery & Christmas Trees
Michigan’s climate, soils, and centralized location combine to make Michigan a national leader in the production of landscape nursery stock and Christmas trees. Michigan State University Extension’s programing for the nursery and Christmas tree industries involves field Extension educators, campus based Extension specialists and researchers who provide timely and relevant educational programming. Our goal is deliver the latest science-based information to keep Michigan producers competitive and profitable in today’s economy.
April 16, 2014 | Curtis Talley Jr. | Landowners and mineral owners in Michigan are receiving offers to sell rather than lease their mineral rights. There are many things to consider both short term and long term when evaluating the sale of mineral rights.
April 10, 2014 | Stan Moore | Employers who look to employee handbooks as policy manuals meant to keep them out of trouble are missing other opportunities.
April 8, 2014 | Nancy Thelen | Advocating agriculture can take place in numerous settings.
March 28, 2014 | Jill O’Donnell | As the weather warms, some conifers have begun to turn brown due to winter injury.
March 28, 2014 | Jill O’Donnell | An effective Christmas tree weed management program increases tree survival, improves growth and enhances tree quality.
March 26, 2014 | Phil Durst | Integrity should be a cornerstone value for your business as well as your life. Check yourself to make sure you are a person of integrity and then communicate that value to your employees.
March 26, 2014 | Dennis Stein | Profits over the past couple of years have allowed farms to upgrade equipment and buildings, changing your bottom line and cost of production.
March 24, 2014 | Mallory Fournier | Scouting is a crucial component in a successful IPM program.
March 20, 2014 | Mary Dunckel | National Ag Day takes place March 25, 2014.
March 17, 2014 | Heidi Wollaeger | While harsh winter wreaks havoc on Michigan greenhouses, growers remain optimistic for spring sales.
To find an MSU Extension expert who covers your location or to find an expert in your area of interest, please visit the MSU Extension Expert Search. To reach an MSU Extension county office, call toll-free 1-888-678-3464.
Find an Expert»
- Biological Control of Insect Pests in Forested Ecosystems (E2679)
- Boxwood blight disease identified in North America
- Conducting a Water Application Uniformity Evaluation for a Micro Irrigation System in the Nursery
- Conducting a Water Application Uniformity Evaluation for an Overhead Sprinkler Irrigation System
- Enviroweather Weather Data and Pest Modeling
- Farm Soil Sampling
- Greenhouse Energy Conservation Strategies (E3160)
- Growing Michigan Agriculture Proceedings
- Integrated Pest Management Resources
- Michigan Christmas Tree Growers Association
- Michigan State University Christmas tree Area of Expertise Team
- Michigan State University Department of Forestry
- MSU Diagnostics Lab
- Restricted Use Pesticide (RUP) test locations
- Soil and Plant Nutrient Lab
- Weather - Drought