Michigan’s natural resources – water, forests, fisheries and wildlife – are economic drivers and important factors in our quality of life. Michigan State University Extension programs improve public understanding and knowledge of our state’s natural resources, helps landowners and communities use those assets for sustainable long-term social and economic development, conserves our natural resources base for future generations, and broadens stakeholder engagement in natural resources decision making.
September 30, 2014 | Julianna Wilson | More activity was reported this week, but except for a few hotspots, trap catches remain very low. More reports of aggregations on commercial and residential buildings are coming in from urban and suburban sites across Lower Michigan.
September 26, 2014 | Julie Crick | Things to evaluate when considering a natural resource enterprise.
September 25, 2014 | Julianna Wilson | Berrien County continues to be a hotspot for brown marmorated stink bug activity, but detections have been reported in Van Buren, Ottawa, Ingham and Lenawee counties. Also, peach damage from BMSB has been confirmed in Ottawa County.
September 23, 2014 | Curtis Talley Jr. | The September 2014 issue of the Landowner Oil and Gas newsletter features development Q&A, information on pipeline rights of ways and a leasing activity update.
September 23, 2014 | Mike Schira | Developing and expanding various Natural Resource Enterprises on properties can increase income while at the same time continuing to provide recreational enjoyment of the ownership.
September 18, 2014 | Dean Solomon | Climate change may have significant impacts on water resources use and management according to the Third National Climate Assessment.
September 18, 2014 | Dean Solomon | Water is constantly in motion, rising into the atmosphere as evaporation and falling as precipitation. How climate change impacts the water cycle is a topic of the Third National Climate Assessment.
September 16, 2014 | Brandon Schroeder | Teachers can explore place-based education and enhance student learning opportunities through many citizen science opportunities open to school involvement.
September 15, 2014 | Julianna Wilson | More nymph and adult brown marmorated stink bugs were caught during the week of Sept. 5-11, 2014, at seven sites in Berrien, Lenawee and Ingham counties. Homeowners in Berrien County are starting to report them in greater number.
September 12, 2014 | Brandon Schroeder | Adopting beaches, tagging migrating monarch butterflies, and mapping habitats for endangered species are a just few of the hands-on ways in which teachers and students can get involved as citizen scientists.
To find an MSU Extension expert who covers your location or to find an expert in your area of interest, please visit the MSU Extension Expert Search. To reach an MSU Extension county office, call toll-free 1-888-678-3464.
Find an Expert»
Events»View more events »
Date: Oct 7, 2014
Location: University Center, 80 Livingston Blvd., Gaylord, MI 49735
Date: Oct 20, 2014
Location: Bay Mills Community College-West Campus, Migizi Hall, 1895 S. Iroquois Row, Brimley, MI 49715
- Clean Boats Clean Waters
- Climate Change Planning & Adaptation
- Climate Literacy
- Conservation Planning & Education
- Conservation Stewards Program
- Geographic Information Services
- Life of Lake Superior Youth Program
- Michigan 4-H Youth Conservation Council
- Michigan Certified Natural Shoreline Professional
- Michigan Conservation Stewards Program
- Michigan Natural Features Inventory
- Michigan Sea Grant
- N.E. Michigan Great Lakes Stewardship Initiative
- Natural Features Inventories
- Natural Resource Enterprises
- Oil and Gas
- Outdoor Adventure Challenge
- Renewable Energy Policy Program
- Summer Discovery Cruises
- Threatened & Endangered Species Conservation
- Water Conservation Program
- Wildfire & Firewise
- A Michigan Boater’s Guide to Selected Invasive Aquatic Plants
- Benefits of Forest Management Videos
- Emerald Ash Borer
- Forest Biomass Innovation Center
- Giant Hogweed (E2935)
- Michigan Butterflies & Skippers (E2675)
- Michigan Snakes - A Field Guide and Pocket Reference (E2000)
- Michigan Water Stewardship Program
- Michigan’s Water Withdrawal Tool
- MSU Department of Fisheries and Wildlife
- MSUE Bioenergy
- Native Plants and Ecosystems Services… (E3167)