Ready for an attractive, healthy and smart lawn? View the resources below to help get you started.
Lawn care and alternatives
- Cool season lawn care and management from eXtension
- Summer lawn care
- Mulch leaves into turf to recycle nutrients
- Video on mulching leaves into turf
- Mowing lawn turf
- Lawn*A*Syst: An environmental risk assessment guide for lawn care
- Nine steps for establishing a new lawn using sod
- Phosphorus and home lawns
- Winter kill of turfgrass
- Have a low maintenance lawn
- Smart lawns for pollinators
- Shady lawn alternatives: Make your shady area the most beautiful place in your yard
Choosing grass for your lawn
- Cultivars of lawns
- Purchasing quality turfgrass seed: Read the label
- Performance of Kentucky bluegrass cultivars in Michigan
- Performance of tall fescue turfgrass cultivars in Michigan
- Turfgrass species and cultivar selection
- Cool season and warm season turfgrass selection from eXtension
- Smart water use: Using the proper amount of water on your lawn
- Irrigation practices to preserve water quality
- Managing yard waste to preserve water quality
- Turf flooding
- What is groundwater?
- Mow at the highest setting to promote deep roots, avoid grub damage, and crowd out weeds
- Dealing with moles
- Video on controlling grubs in lawns and turfgrass
- Home lawn grub control products in Michigan
- Watch for grub damage in the fall and next spring
- White grubs in new sod: What do I do?
August 12, 2016 | Julie Crick | Abundant Lecanium scale populations result in sticky sap, coating everything in the yard.
August 10, 2016 | Terry Gibb | Temperatures are not the only thing high during this hot and dry summer. Water bills are skyrocketing as homeowners try to maintain their outdoor plants and lawns.
July 21, 2016 | Rebecca Krans | Register now for the Master Gardener Program in Escanaba, Michigan, starting Aug. 25, 2016. Online registration is required by Aug. 11, limited and partial scholarship application are required by July 29.
July 15, 2016 | Kevin Frank | The MSU Turfgrass Field Day includes presentations and workshops covering golf, lawn and athletic field research.
July 12, 2016 | Beth Bishop | Two new Enviro-weather stations have been added in Oceana County in 2016.
July 8, 2016 | Paige Filice | While water gardens add beauty to backyards, it is important to be aware of the risks associated with aquatic invasive species and to prevent escape.
June 14, 2016 | Russell Kidd | Forest pests could create serious problems if Michiganders aren’t vigilant.
June 9, 2016 | Kevin Frank | Mossy stonecrop, commonly called Sedum, can be a difficult weed to remove from lawns.
June 2, 2016 | Angie Tenney | Broad-leaved helleborine is once again causing trouble for homeowners who are finding it in their lawns and flowerbeds.
May 26, 2016 | Terry Gibb | Lawn area makes up a large part of the land surface in communities. Proper maintenance and management of these areas can protect water quality.