Ready for an attractive, healthy and smart lawn? View the resources below to help get you started.
Lawn care and alternatives
- Cool season lawn care and management from eXtension
- Summer lawn care
- Mulch leaves into turf to recycle nutrients
- Video on mulching leaves into turf
- Mowing lawn turf
- Lawn*A*Syst: An environmental risk assessment guide for lawn care
- Nine steps for establishing a new lawn using sod
- Phosphorus and home lawns
- Winter kill of turfgrass
- Have a low maintenance lawn
- Smart lawns for pollinators
- Shady lawn alternatives: Make your shady area the most beautiful place in your yard
Choosing grass for your lawn
- Cultivars of lawns
- Purchasing quality turfgrass seed: Read the label
- Performance of Kentucky bluegrass cultivars in Michigan
- Performance of tall fescue turfgrass cultivars in Michigan
- Turfgrass species and cultivar selection
- Cool season and warm season turfgrass selection from eXtension
- Smart water use: Using the proper amount of water on your lawn
- Irrigation practices to preserve water quality
- Managing yard waste to preserve water quality
- Turf flooding
- What is groundwater?
- Mow at the highest setting to promote deep roots, avoid grub damage, and crowd out weeds
- Dealing with moles
- Video on controlling grubs in lawns and turfgrass
- Home lawn grub control products in Michigan
- Watch for grub damage in the fall and next spring
- White grubs in new sod: What do I do?
August 23, 2017 | Kevin Frank | Stretches of dry and hot weather this summer resulted in some lawns being stressed and slow to recover. As Labor Day weekend approaches, a fertilizer application will ensure the turf maintains density and competes with pests such as weeds and rust.
August 23, 2017 | Kevin Frank | September is the ideal time for seeding turfgrass in Michigan.
August 14, 2017 | Rebecca Finneran | If you haven’t heard of Michigan State University Extension’s Smart Gardening initiative, its goal is to promote earth friendly and sustainable practices that will save gardeners time, effort and money.
July 28, 2017 | Diane Brown | Bring your garden and menus alive with herbs. Register now for the “Healthful, Homegrown Herbs” workshop Aug. 24 to learn how to incorporate their amazing flavors into your menus.
July 27, 2017 | Aaron Hathaway | Crabgrass has been enjoying the high temperatures in Michigan by invading turfgrass areas.
June 29, 2017 | Kevin Frank | The MSU Turfgrass Field Day includes presentations and workshops covering golf, lawn and athletic field research.
June 19, 2017 | Kevin Frank | Throughout much of Michigan, lawns are under stress from high temperatures and lack of rainfall.
June 5, 2017 | Cameron Macko | Learn how to identify and stop damage from chinch bugs, European chafers, Japanese beetles and sod webworms with these helpful, updated tip sheets.
May 31, 2017 | Dave Smitley | When to apply grub control products, how reliable they are and why some people are confused about whether they work.
May 24, 2017 | Rebecca Krans | Use these Smart Gardening practices to have a healthy lawn that is more resilient to potential turf problems.
Find an Expert
Sep 28, 2017 | MSU Tollgate Farm and Education Center, 28115 Meadowbrook Road - Novi, MI 48337
Oct 12, 2017 | MSU Tollgate Farm and Education Center 28115 Meadowbrook Road - Novi, MI 48337
Oct 14, 2017 | Quality Inn 1021 N. State St., St. Ignace, MI 49781
Oct 26, 2017 | MSU Tollgate Farm and Education Center 28115 Meadowbrook Road - Novi, MI