Ready for an attractive, healthy and smart lawn? View the resources below to help get you started.
Lawn care and alternatives
- Cool season lawn care and management from eXtension
- Summer lawn care
- Mulch leaves into turf to recycle nutrients
- Video on mulching leaves into turf
- Mowing lawn turf
- Lawn*A*Syst: An environmental risk assessment guide for lawn care
- Nine steps for establishing a new lawn using sod
- Phosphorus and home lawns
- Winter kill of turfgrass
- Have a low maintenance lawn
- Smart lawns for pollinators
- Shady lawn alternatives: Make your shady area the most beautiful place in your yard
Choosing grass for your lawn
- Cultivars of lawns
- Purchasing quality turfgrass seed: Read the label
- Performance of Kentucky bluegrass cultivars in Michigan
- Performance of tall fescue turfgrass cultivars in Michigan
- Turfgrass species and cultivar selection
- Cool season and warm season turfgrass selection from eXtension
- Smart water use: Using the proper amount of water on your lawn
- Irrigation practices to preserve water quality
- Managing yard waste to preserve water quality
- Turf flooding
- What is groundwater?
- Mow at the highest setting to promote deep roots, avoid grub damage, and crowd out weeds
- Dealing with moles
- Video on controlling grubs in lawns and turfgrass
- Home lawn grub control products in Michigan
- Watch for grub damage in the fall and next spring
- White grubs in new sod: What do I do?
April 18, 2017 | Aaron Hathaway | Not every Roundup is the same. Read the label and follow directions to ensure you’re picking the correct product for your intended use.
April 10, 2017 | Terry Davis | Not all the grub control products on store shelves will be effective this spring. Here’s how to choose and use the right one for your lawn.
April 6, 2017 | Alan Jaros | MSU Tollgate Farm is rolling out new Evenings in the Garden spring series starting April 15, 2017.
April 6, 2017 | Kevin Frank | Recent rainfall events caused flooding in many lawns and other turf areas. Unless flooding was accompanied by soil deposition, most turf areas should have minimal damage.
March 31, 2017 | Kevin Frank | These two different products are good examples of why understanding the difference between product names and herbicide active ingredients is critical.
March 23, 2017 | Kevin Frank | When is the correct time to apply crabgrass pre-emergence herbicides?
March 22, 2017 | Rebecca Krans | Attend free Smart Gardening presentations, win garden door prizes and learn how to help native pollinators in your backyard at the Kiwanis Noon Home and Garden Show April 7-9, 2017, in Escanaba.
March 15, 2017 | Diane Brown | Welcome spring and receive great Smart Gardening tips to save you time and money at the Lansing Home and Garden Show, March 16-19, 2017.
February 7, 2017 | Rebecca Finneran | Nationally-known horticulturist and author Linda Chalker-Scott will get to the truth about common gardening myths at March 4 conference in Grand Rapids.
January 25, 2017 | Dave Smitley | Whether you choose weed-free or a more relaxed approach to your lawn, here are some practices that will keep it bee-friendly.
Find an Expert
Apr 27, 2017 | MSU Tollgate Farm and Education Center 28115 Meadowbrook Road - Novi, MI 48337
May 11, 2017 | MSU Tollgate Farm and Education Center 28115 Meadowbrook Road - Novi, MI 48337
May 22, 2017 – May 23, 2017 | Lawrence Technological University (LTU), Room 410 21000 West 10 Mile Road, Southfield, MI 48075
May 25, 2017 | MSU Tollgate Farm and Education Center 28115 Meadowbrook Road - Novi, MI 48337