Ready for an attractive, healthy and smart lawn? View the resources below to help get you started.
Choosing grass for your lawn
- Cultivars of lawns
- Purchasing quality turfgrass seed: Read the label
- Performance of Kentucky bluegrass cultivars in Michigan
- Performance of tall fescue turfgrass cultivars in Michigan
- Turfgrass species and cultivar selection
- Cool season and warm season turfgrass selection from eXtension
Lawn care management
- Have a low maintenance lawn
- Mulch leaves into turf to recycle nutrients
- Video on mulching leaves into turf
- Shady lawn alternatives: Make your shady area the most beautiful place in your yard
- Cool season lawn care and management from eXtension
- Nine steps for establishing a new lawn using sod
- Mowing lawn turf
- Phosphorus and home lawns
- Lawn*A*Syst: An environmental risk assessment guide for lawn care
- Winter kill of turfgrass
- Summer lawn care
- Smart water use: Using the proper amount of water on your lawn
- Irrigation practices to preserve water quality
- Managing yard waste to preserve water quality
- Turf flooding
- What is groundwater?
- Mow at the highest setting to promote deep roots, avoid grub damage, and crowd out weeds
- Dealing with moles
- Video on controlling grubs in lawns and turfgrass
- Home lawn grub control products in Michigan
- Watch for grub damage in the fall and next spring
- White grubs in new sod: What do I do?
May 19, 2016 | Kevin Frank | Now is when seedheads push through turfgrass, orange and yellow hawkweed flowers and slime mold covers turf blades.
April 28, 2016 | Gretchen Voyle | Grasses need eight or more hours of full sunlight a day. If you’re struggling to grow grass even after water and fertilizing, a shady lawn may be the problem.
April 21, 2016 | Diane Brown | Hairy bittercress is an annual weed that can spread quickly. It often enters landscapes as a contaminant in container plants.
April 20, 2016 | David Smitley | A new PDF publication is the complete guide to protecting pollinators while gardening, growing flowers or managing trees, shrubs or turfgrass in urban areas.
April 14, 2016 | Kevin Frank | Spots of your lawn may need reseeding this spring.
April 14, 2016 | Gretchen Voyle | Recognize who is causing damage to your yard and landscape during spring and how to prevent it.
April 14, 2016 | Terry Davis | Not all the grub control products on store shelves will be effective this spring. Here’s how to choose and use the right one for your lawn.
April 8, 2016 | Kevin Frank | Five tips for maintaining a lawn while doing less and hopefully saving some cash.
April 1, 2016 | Kevin Frank | There is still time to make pre-emergence herbicide applications to control crabgrass.
December 2, 2015 | Gretchen Voyle | Mole damage can appear differently, but it’s the same guys digging.
Find an Expert
Jun 17, 2016 – Jun 18, 2016 | MSU Extension - Kent County, 775 Ball NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Aug 22, 2016 – Nov 28, 2016 | Ingham County Fairgrounds, 700 E. Ash St., Mason, Michigan, 48854
Aug 25, 2016 – Dec 1, 2016 | Wexford-Missaukee Intermediate School District, Career Tech Center Building, Lake Superior Room, 9907 E. 13th St., Cadillac, MI
Aug 25, 2016 – Dec 1, 2016 | Bay de Noc Community College, 2001 N. Lincoln Rd., 525 ITV Conference Room, Student Center, Escanaba, MI 49829