Have a home gardening or lawn question? Call our gardening hotline at 1-888-678-3464 or Ask an Expert.
Gardeners aim to grow good produce or nurture lovely lawns and landscaping. “Smart gardeners” obtain those goals with earth-friendly techniques that can save money. Our advice is based on science performed at Michigan State University or other land grant universities.
Don't forget to check out our Smart Gardening resources, which includes tip sheets and informational videos.
- Mow at the highest setting to promote deep roots, avoid grub damage and crowd out weeds.
- Mulch leaves and grass clippings into lawn to recycle nutrients.
- Learn how to have a smart lawn.
- Select well-adapted or native plants, trees and shrubs to simplify meeting the plant’s needs.
- Learn how to select smart flowers and trees/shrubs.
- Don’t guess, soil test to ensure an effective balance of nutrients.
- Learn how to test and build smart soils.
- Select the right vegetables for your location. Sunlight, water and good soil are essential for growing good vegetables.
- Learn how to plant a smart vegetable garden.
Smart gardening to protect pollinators
- Invite pollinators to your garden or landscape by creating a smart habitat with pollinator-friendly plants and lawns.
- Learn how to protect pollinators using smart gardening techniques.
May 14, 2008 | David Smitley |
May 9, 2008 | Howard Russell and Jim Zablotny |
April 18, 2008 | Howard Russell |
April 18, 2008 | Terry Davis |
April 4, 2008 | Rebecca Finneran |
March 21, 2008 | Howard Russell and Chris DiFonzo |
March 21, 2008 | Rebecca Finneran |
March 18, 2008 | Mark Longstroth |
September 21, 2007 | Howard Russell |
September 7, 2007 | Howard Russell |
Find an Expert
Jun 28, 2017 | Midland County MSU Extension Learning Center, 220 W. Ellsworth Street, Midland, MI 48640
Jul 9, 2017 | MSU North Farm, Rock River Rd., Chatham, MI 49816
Jul 22, 2017 | Independence Oaks County Park Wint Nature Center 9501 Sashabaw Road Clarkston, MI 48304
Jul 22, 2017 | Kent/MSU Extension 775 Ball Avenue, NE Grand Rapids 49503
Jul 26, 2017 | Flint Farmers Market, 300 E. 1st Street, Flint, MI 48502
Jul 27, 2017 | Portage Township Community Building, W17361 Davis St., Curtis, MI 49820
Jul 28, 2017 | Watersmeet Township Community Center, N4660 US Hwy 45, Watersmeet, MI 49969