Have a home gardening or lawn question? Call our gardening hotline at 1-888-678-3464 or Ask an Expert.
Gardeners aim to grow good produce or nurture lovely lawns and landscaping. “Smart gardeners” obtain those goals with earth-friendly techniques that can save money. Our advice is based on science performed at Michigan State University or other land grant universities.
Don't forget to check out our Smart Gardening resources, which includes tip sheets and informational videos.
- Mow at the highest setting to promote deep roots, avoid grub damage and crowd out weeds.
- Mulch leaves and grass clippings into lawn to recycle nutrients.
- Learn how to have a smart lawn.
- Select well-adapted or native plants, trees and shrubs to simplify meeting the plant’s needs.
- Learn how to select smart flowers and trees/shrubs.
- Don’t guess, soil test to ensure an effective balance of nutrients.
- Learn how to test and build smart soils.
- Select the right vegetables for your location. Sunlight, water and good soil are essential for growing good vegetables.
- Learn how to plant a smart vegetable garden.
Smart gardening to protect pollinators
- Invite pollinators to your garden or landscape by creating a smart habitat with pollinator-friendly plants and lawns.
- Learn how to protect pollinators using smart gardening techniques.
October 21, 2016 | Dixie Sandborn | What I learned about harvesting cranberries after visiting DeGrandchamp Farms in South Haven, Michigan, to see the cranberry harvest.
October 13, 2016 | Robert Bricault | Control viburnum leaf beetles in fall and winter to lessen damage in spring.
October 12, 2016 | Rebecca Finneran | Using integrated pest management in your garden now will decrease your chances of insect pests and diseases next year.
October 11, 2016 | Ben Phillips | Recent frost advisories are relevant for late-season vegetables.
October 10, 2016 | Rebecca Krans | Soil testing, removing plant material and adding organic mulches, compost and cover crops are all smart gardening techniques for fall cleanup.
October 6, 2016 | Sarah Rautio | Plants and humans are not that different when it comes to their health. Try out these plant care tips.
October 6, 2016 | Kevin Frank | Fall is the ideal time for controlling broadleaf weeds such as ground ivy, dandelion and white clover.
September 28, 2016 | Gretchen Voyle | Milkweed plants can serve as host to many kinds of interesting insects, and can be grown using seeds of other milkweed plants.
September 23, 2016 | Rebecca Krans | Jeannette Hauver earned special recognition for her volunteer garden service of creating and maintaining 13 different flower gardens in Marquette, Michigan.
September 22, 2016 | Julianna Wilson | What they are, why stink bugs are entering houses, and what you can do about them.
Find an Expert
Nov 3, 2016 | Gladwin MSU Extension, 555 W. Cedar Street, Gladwin, MI 48624
Nov 7, 2016 | Clare County MSU Extension, 225 W. Main Street, Harrison, MI 48625
Nov 10, 2016 | Midland County MSU Extension (3rd Floor County Services Building), 220 W. Ellsworth Street Midland, MI 48640
Nov 14, 2016 | Saginaw County MSU Extension One Tuscola Street Suite One Saginaw, MI 48607
Dec 7, 2016 | Kent/MSU Extension, 775 Ball Avenue NE, GR 49503