Through education of newly elected and veteran elected officials, Michigan State University Extension helps ground Michigan’s 1,858 local governments (townships, villages, cities and counties), and 12 federally recognized tribal nations with strong, evidence-based information that helps in sound governance and management. MSU Extension has educators with expertise on economics, fiscal management, boardsmanship, parliamentary procedure, open meetings act, public policy and more. By working together with local elected and appointed officials, MSU Extension is able to provide education on critical local government operations.
August 13, 2014 | Brad Neumann | For years, crowdfunding has been a popular way to raise money to develop the latest gadgets. Now, Michigan communities can utilize crowdfunding to launch placemaking projects for economic development.
August 11, 2014 | Emily Proctor | Religion and spirituality are cornerstones in the lives of many American Indians as it is for others who live in the United States.
August 4, 2014 | Steve Lovejoy | While educating developers concerning environmental impacts is important, greater profits will induce developers more than appeals to their environmental ethic or their conscience.
July 23, 2014 | Terry Gibb | In the August primary, Michigan voters will be asked to decide on Proposal 1 of 2014 that repeals the business personal property tax and directs part of the current state use tax monies to reimburse communities.
July 22, 2014 | Brad Neumann | With rainfall intensification predicted in the Midwest, a new checklist guides communities in developing policies and standards to improve flood resilience.
July 21, 2014 | Brenda Long | Life events may qualify you for different Marketplace health insurance coverage or savings.
July 21, 2014 | Kurt H. Schindler | Zoning can be written, or prepared, several different ways. Most common is to think of zoning as traditional, conventional, performance-based, form-based or a mix of each of these.
July 21, 2014 | Kurt H. Schindler | There is no state oversight of planning and zoning. There is no statewide library of all master plans and zoning ordinances. Thus, trying to find out who has zoning, and what it covers, and what type of regulations exist is very difficult.
July 18, 2014 | Brad Neumann | Recent changes to the Site Selection GAAMP do not likely affect existing livestock facilities in primarily residential areas. Considered nonconforming land uses, such livestock facilities are probably allowed to continue under zoning.
July 9, 2014 | Bethany Prykucki | Giuliani’s book “Leadership” can offer lessons for life and leadership.
To find an MSU Extension expert who covers your location or to find an expert in your area of interest, please visit the MSU Extension Expert Search. To reach an MSU Extension county office, call toll-free 1-888-678-3464.
Find an Expert»
Events»View more events »
Date: Aug 21, 2014
Date: Sep 8, 2014
Date: Sep 9, 2014 - Oct 21, 2014
Location: Laketon Township Hall, 2725 West Giles Road, Muskegon, MI 49445
- 4-H Advisory Group Support
- 4-H Capitol Experience
- 4-H Citizenship and Tribal Citizenship Academies
- 4-H Military Family Programs
- 4-H Youth-Adult Partnerships
- Building Strong Sovereign Nations: Anishnaabek Leadership for Seven Generations
- Conflict, Collaboration & Consensus in Natural Resource Issues
- Fiscal Management and Technical Assistance
- Intergovernmental Cooperation
- Land Policy Institute
- Land Use Education Services
- Leadership Through Effective Meetings: Parliamentary Procedure Basics
- Michigan Citizen Planner
- Michigan Local Government Benchmarking Consortium
- New County Commissioner Training
- Training Officials on Statutory Requirements & Governing Skills
- Tribal Governance Training
- 2014 Statewide Ballot Proposal
- Detroit Consent Agreement and Emergency Manager Laws
- F65 Fiscal Data Portal
- Lansing-East Lansing Metro Region Fiscal Scorecard
- Municipal Bankruptcy
- Municipality Legacy Costs
- Parliamentary procedure resources
- Planning & Zoning Center at MSU
- Statewide Ballot Proposals 2012 (GE49)