Fruit & Nuts
Michigan State University Extension provides educational programs and publications based on applied research for Michigan fruit crops including apples, pears, blueberries, chestnuts, brambles, plums, cherries, grapes, peaches, strawberries and hops. These educational resources provide valuable help to Michigan growers and consumers regarding fruit pest management, food safety, business management, food processing, horticultural practices, irrigation and weed management.
December 5, 2013 | Mallory Fournier | Establishing an integrated pest management program with diligent scouting is crucial for any farm.
December 5, 2013 | Emily Pochubay | This cidery in Clarington, Ontario, is keeping up with the times by providing a mobile cider pressing service to Durham region farmers and farm markets.
December 4, 2013 | James DeDecker | Cover crops can contribute to weed management in some unexpected ways.
December 4, 2013 | James DeDecker | When applied correctly, cover cropping can have benefits beyond soil health.
December 4, 2013 | Ron Goldy | Plant essential nutrients exist as anions and cations. What does that mean for plant production and why should growers be aware?
December 3, 2013 | Joanne Davidhizar | Connecting with new buyers and markets for fruit and vegetable growers is made easier through the MarketMaker exhibit and the Meet the Buyers reception at the Great Lakes EXPO Dec. 10-12.
December 2, 2013 | Rob Sirrine | Register now for the 2014 Integrated Pest Management Academy held February 18-19, 2014, in Okemos, Mich.
November 27, 2013 | Bob Tritten | Now is the time when mice and voles are moving into fruit orchards.
November 27, 2013 | Jerry Lindquist | The delayed harvest of grain crops in Michigan this year has put farm equipment operators and motorists at risk as they attempt to share the roadways in the month with the shortest daylight period of the year.
November 27, 2013 | Bob Tritten | We are right on track at putting strawberries to bed for the season.
To find an MSU Extension expert who covers your location or to find an expert in your area of interest, please visit the MSU Extension Expert Search. To reach an MSU Extension county office, call toll-free 1-888-678-3464.
Events»View more events »
Date: Dec 10, 2013 - Dec 12, 2013
Location: DeVos Place Convention Center, 303 Monroe Avenue NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Date: Dec 11, 2013
Location: Ubly Heights Country Club, 2409 E. Atwater Road, Ubly, MI
Date: Dec 13, 2013
Location: Presque Isle Library, 181 E Erie St Rogers City, MI 49779
- 2012 Fruit Freeze Resources
- 2012 Fruit Management Guide (E0154)
- Agrifood Safety Work Group
- Apple maturity program and reports
- Berry Crop Entomology Lab
- Breakfast on the Farm
- Clarksville Research Center
- Drought Resources
- Enviroweather Weather Data and Pest Modeling
- Farm Information Resource Management (FIRM)
- Farm Soil Sampling
- Fruit Specific Websites
- Great Lakes Fruit Workers
- Great Lakes Fruit, Vegetable and Farm Market EXPO
- Growing Michigan Agriculture Proceedings
- Integrated Pest Management Resources
- MSU Diagnostics Lab
- Northwest Michigan Horticultural Research Center
- Restricted Use Pesticide (RUP) test locations
- Scouting Guides for Fruit
- Soil and Plant Nutrient Lab
- Southwest Michigan Research and Extension Center
- Spotted Wing Drosophila: A New Invasive Pest of Michigan Fruit Crops (E3140)
- Trevor Nichols Research Center (pest management)