Fruit & Nuts
Michigan State University Extension provides educational programs and publications based on applied research for Michigan fruit crops including apples, pears, blueberries, brambles, plums, cherries, grapes, peaches and strawberries. These educational resources provide valuable help to Michigan growers and consumers regarding fruit pest management, food safety, business management, food processing, horticultural practices, irrigation and weed management.
May 23, 2013 | Carlos García-Salazar | West central Michigan fruit growers should consider the following recommendations in the event of a freeze/frost event tonight, May 23.
May 23, 2013 | Beth Bishop | Understanding and using accumulated growing degree days can help you know when to expect pests. This is one of the services Enviro-weather offers Michigan growers.
May 23, 2013 | Jan Byrne | Growers and gardeners can prevent phytotoxicity with these precautions.
May 22, 2013 | Craig Roubos | New blueberry gall midge fact sheet helps identify damage that is easily confused with frost damage.
May 21, 2013 | Bob Tritten | Apple growers are encouraged to attend one of two meetings on Thursday, May 23, to discuss specific apple thinning strategies for this unique season.
May 21, 2013 | Bernard Zandstra | Stinger labeled for post-emergence weed control in established apples.
May 21, 2013 | Carlos García-Salazar | Improving weather conditions are favoring excellent blueberry growth and development. Now it’s time to check for potential pollination problems and fruitworm control.
May 21, 2013 | Bob Tritten | Fruit development moves along at a rapid pace with warm weather this past week.
May 21, 2013 | Amy Irish-Brown | Fire blight is of utmost concern this week around Grand Rapids, Mich.
May 21, 2013 | Bill Shane | Warm, dry weather has fruit crops moving rapidly. Blueberries are blooming and grape bloom approaches.
To find an MSU Extension expert who covers your location or to find an expert in your area of interest, please visit the MSU Extension Expert Search. To reach an MSU Extension county office, call toll-free 1-888-678-3464.
Events»View more events »
Date: Jun 6, 2013
Location: Berrien County Extension Office, 1737 Hillandale Road, Benton Harbor, MI 49022
Date: Jun 15, 2013
Location: Reid Dairy Farm, LLC, 7096 Vincent Road, Jeddo, MI 48032
Date: Jul 13, 2013
Location: Walt Dairy Farm 8099 W. Arthur St. Coopersville, Mi 49404
- 2012 Fruit Freeze Resources
- 2012 Fruit Management Guide (E0154)
- 2012 MSU apple maturity program and reports
- Agrifood Safety Work Group
- Berry Crop Entomology Lab
- Breakfast on the Farm
- Clarksville Research Center
- Drought Resources
- Enviroweather Weather Data and Pest Modeling
- Farm Information Resource Management (FIRM)
- Fruit Specific Websites
- Great Lakes Fruit Workers
- Great Lakes Fruit, Vegetable and Farm Market EXPO
- Growing Michigan Agriculture Proceedings
- Integrated Pest Management Resources
- MSU Plant Diagnostics Lab
- Northwest Michigan Horticultural Research Center
- Restricted Use Pesticide (RUP) test locations
- Scouting Guides for Fruit
- Soil and Plant Nutrient Lab
- Southwest Michigan Research and Extension Center
- Spotted Wing Drosophila: A New Invasive Pest of Michigan Fruit Crops (E3140)
- Trevor Nichols Research Center (pest management)