Add color to your garden or yard by planting flowers. Need some help getting started?
General requirements and care
- Video on mulching to control weeds
- Drought-tolerant plants save water, money and time
- Design a water-smart landscape
- Selecting plants that will succeed on your lakefront
- How to use color in the landscape
- Statewide table for frost-free dates for choosing when to plant
- Light requirements, watering, and soil preparation from eXtension
- Video on summer rose care
- Poinsettia care
- Deer Barriers: Fencing, Repellants, Dog Restraint Systems
What kind of flowers to grow
- Tropical plants
- Identifying plants - USDA plant database
- Selecting, growing and designing perennials
- Growing milkweeds for monarch butterflies
- Wildfire-resistant landscape plants for Michigan
- Deer-resistant plants for homeowners
Native plants in the landscape and garden
- New: Video on matching native plants to your yard’s needs (Downloadable file)
- New: Video on smart reasons to choose native plants (Downloadable file)
- Video on selecting native or well-adapted plants to simplify meeting the plant’s needs
- Native plants can be a smart choice for Michigan landscapes
- Attracting beneficial insects with native flowering plants
- Visit nativeplants.msu.edu for fact sheets about specific plants and to learn about their ecosystem services.
Disease, insect and pest concerns
- Impatiens downy mildew: A curse and opportunity for smart gardeners
- Alternatives to impatiens: Avoid impatiens downy mildew with these alternative plants
- A Pocket Guide for IPM Scouting in Herbaceous Perennials
- Abiotic plant disorders, symptoms, signs and solutions: A diagnostic guide to problem solving
- Broad mites
- Brown marmorated stink bugs: Information for Michigan residents on a new home invader
- Daylily rust
- Gladiolus rust
- Hoary alyssum
- Managing pests around the home
- Managing pests in the landscape
- Interactive Plant Manager is an online diagnostic database for woody ornamentals from Cornell University’s IPM Program.
- Using organic fertilizers - tip sheet from Purdue University
- Reading a pesticide label
- Poison ivy identification and management
September 17, 2015 | Heidi Wollaeger | Garden center retailers should not only sell plants, but inspire their customers to use them.
August 20, 2015 | Heidi Wollaeger | Training the growth of plants can reinvigorate a stagnant product category.
April 16, 2015 | Heidi Wollaeger | Despite the confusion around the term “bee-friendly,” retailers might be able to garner a premium price for plants labeled bee-friendly.
April 16, 2015 | Heidi Wollaeger | What does “bee-friendly” mean and how can ornamental plant growers produce plants that are safe for pollinators?
January 8, 2015 | Gretchen Voyle | Old advice can be new advice for beginning gardeners.
December 19, 2014 | Dixie Sandborn | Common sense tells us that flowers make us happy but now research proves it too! Learn ways improve your happiness this winter with flowers.
June 25, 2014 | Dave Smitley | The discovery of neonicotinoid insecticide in leaves and flowers of some garden center plants should not stop you from buying and planting flowers because the benefit to bees far outweighs the potential risk.
June 17, 2014 | Gretchen Voyle | Whether it’s your vegetable garden, flowers or woody ornamentals, when foliage, flowers or entire plants are missing, the big question is “Who did this?”
February 7, 2014 | Rebecca Finneran | Reduce the need for watering your landscape by using simple but smart tips.
February 7, 2014 | Rebecca Krans | Attracting “good bugs” provides natural enemies for the “bad bugs” in your garden.
Find an Expert
Jan 15, 2018 – Apr 23, 2018 | GCCARD Building, 605 N. Saginaw Street (Suite 1A), Flint, MI, 48502
Jan 18, 2018 – Apr 26, 2018 | Bay College West, 2801 U.S. 2, Iron Mountain, MI 4801
Jan 24, 2018 – May 2, 2018 | Washtenaw Western Service Building, MSU Extension, 705 N. Zeeb Rd., Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Jan 24, 2018 – May 2, 2018 | Kalamazoo RESA - Wile Auditorium 1819 E. Milham Ave Portage, MI 490
Mar 1, 2018 – Jun 7, 2018 | Verkuilen Building, Assembly Rooms A&B 28115 Dunham Rd., Suite 12, Clinton Twp, MI 48036
Mar 8, 2018 – Jun 14, 2018 | Northwest Michigan Horticulture Research Center; 6686 S Center Hwy, Traverse City, MI 49684
Mar 10, 2018 – Jun 30, 2018 | Charles R. Drew Transition Center, 9600 Wyoming St., Detroit, MI 48204