Add color to your garden or yard by planting flowers. Need some help getting started?
General requirements and care
- Video on mulching to control weeds
- Drought-tolerant plants save water, money and time
- Design a water-smart landscape
- Selecting plants that will succeed on your lakefront
- How to use color in the landscape
- Statewide table for frost-free dates for choosing when to plant
- Light requirements, watering, and soil preparation from eXtension
- Video on summer rose care
- Poinsettia care
- Deer Barriers: Fencing, Repellants, Dog Restraint Systems
What kind of flowers to grow
- Tropical plants
- Identifying plants - USDA plant database
- Selecting, growing and designing perennials
- Growing milkweeds for monarch butterflies
- Wildfire-resistant landscape plants for Michigan
- Deer-resistant plants for homeowners
Native plants in the landscape and garden
- New: Video on matching native plants to your yard’s needs (Downloadable file)
- New: Video on smart reasons to choose native plants (Downloadable file)
- Video on selecting native or well-adapted plants to simplify meeting the plant’s needs
- Native plants can be a smart choice for Michigan landscapes
- Attracting beneficial insects with native flowering plants
- Visit nativeplants.msu.edu for fact sheets about specific plants and to learn about their ecosystem services.
Disease, insect and pest concerns
- Impatiens downy mildew: A curse and opportunity for smart gardeners
- Alternatives to impatiens: Avoid impatiens downy mildew with these alternative plants
- A Pocket Guide for IPM Scouting in Herbaceous Perennials
- Abiotic plant disorders, symptoms, signs and solutions: A diagnostic guide to problem solving
- Broad mites
- Brown marmorated stink bugs: Information for Michigan residents on a new home invader
- Daylily rust
- Gladiolus rust
- Hoary alyssum
- Managing pests around the home
- Managing pests in the landscape
- Interactive Plant Manager is an online diagnostic database for woody ornamentals from Cornell University’s IPM Program.
- Using organic fertilizers - tip sheet from Purdue University
- Reading a pesticide label
- Poison ivy identification and management
March 22, 2017 | Rebecca Krans | Attend free Smart Gardening presentations, win garden door prizes and learn how to help native pollinators in your backyard at the Kiwanis Noon Home and Garden Show April 7-9, 2017, in Escanaba.
March 16, 2017 | Rebecca Finneran | Bare root perennials feature several advantages for gardeners over container-grown plants.
March 15, 2017 | Diane Brown | Welcome spring and receive great Smart Gardening tips to save you time and money at the Lansing Home and Garden Show, March 16-19, 2017.
February 7, 2017 | Rebecca Finneran | Nationally-known horticulturist and author Linda Chalker-Scott will get to the truth about common gardening myths at March 4 conference in Grand Rapids.
January 6, 2017 | Duke Elsner | Support monarchs with a season-long display of flowering trees, shrubs and perennials in your yard. Include milkweed for the caterpillars.
January 6, 2017 | Diane Brown | The Capital Area Master Gardeners Annual Winter Symposium is a perfect opportunity to meet with old and new gardening friends, attend great programs and browse a garden marketplace.
January 4, 2017 | Mary Wilson | Join nationally renowned horticulturists and fellow plant enthusiasts at the daylong Plants of Distinction seminar in Novi, Michigan, Feb. 21, 2017.
December 20, 2016 | Rebecca Finneran | Nationally-known horticulturists Linda Chalker-Scott and Stacey Hirvela are featured speakers at the 2017 Smart Gardening Conference on March 4 in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
December 20, 2016 | Rebecca Finneran | Stop deer damage in your garden or landscape with smart gardening techniques.
November 8, 2016 | Gretchen Voyle | It’s not too late to plan for next year’s garden party. Now’s the time to dig up tender, summer-flowering bulbs, tubers, rhizomes and corms and store them for winter.
Find an Expert
Jan 15, 2018 – Apr 23, 2018 | GCCARD Building, 605 N. Saginaw Street (Suite 1A), Flint, MI, 48502
Jan 18, 2018 – Apr 26, 2018 | Bay College West, 2801 U.S. 2, Iron Mountain, MI 4801
Jan 24, 2018 – May 2, 2018 | Washtenaw Western Service Building, MSU Extension, 705 N. Zeeb Rd., Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Jan 24, 2018 – May 2, 2018 | Kalamazoo RESA - Wile Auditorium 1819 E. Milham Ave Portage, MI 490
Mar 1, 2018 – Jun 7, 2018 | Verkuilen Building, Assembly Rooms A&B 28115 Dunham Rd., Suite 12, Clinton Twp, MI 48036
Mar 8, 2018 – Jun 14, 2018 | Northwest Michigan Horticulture Research Center; 6686 S Center Hwy, Traverse City, MI 49684
Mar 10, 2018 – Jun 30, 2018 | Charles R. Drew Transition Center, 9600 Wyoming St., Detroit, MI 48204