Add color to your garden or yard by planting flowers. Need some help getting started?
General requirements and care
- Video on mulching to control weeds
- Drought-tolerant plants save water, money and time
- Design a water-smart landscape
- Selecting plants that will succeed on your lakefront
- How to use color in the landscape
- Statewide table for frost-free dates for choosing when to plant
- Light requirements, watering, and soil preparation from eXtension
- Video on summer rose care
- Poinsettia care
- Deer Barriers: Fencing, Repellants, Dog Restraint Systems
What kind of flowers to grow
- Tropical plants
- Identifying plants - USDA plant database
- Selecting, growing and designing perennials
- Growing milkweeds for monarch butterflies
- Wildfire-resistant landscape plants for Michigan
- Deer-resistant plants for homeowners
Native plants in the landscape and garden
- New: Video on matching native plants to your yard’s needs (Downloadable file)
- New: Video on smart reasons to choose native plants (Downloadable file)
- Video on selecting native or well-adapted plants to simplify meeting the plant’s needs
- Native plants can be a smart choice for Michigan landscapes
- Attracting beneficial insects with native flowering plants
- Visit nativeplants.msu.edu for fact sheets about specific plants and to learn about their ecosystem services.
Disease, insect and pest concerns
- Impatiens downy mildew: A curse and opportunity for smart gardeners
- Alternatives to impatiens: Avoid impatiens downy mildew with these alternative plants
- A Pocket Guide for IPM Scouting in Herbaceous Perennials
- Abiotic plant disorders, symptoms, signs and solutions: A diagnostic guide to problem solving
- Broad mites
- Brown marmorated stink bugs: Information for Michigan residents on a new home invader
- Daylily rust
- Gladiolus rust
- Hoary alyssum
- Managing pests around the home
- Managing pests in the landscape
- Interactive Plant Manager is an online diagnostic database for woody ornamentals from Cornell University’s IPM Program.
- Using organic fertilizers - tip sheet from Purdue University
- Reading a pesticide label
- Poison ivy identification and management
July 26, 2016 | Doug Landis | Monarch populations appear to be down this year in Michigan. Here’s why and what you can do to help.
July 21, 2016 | Rebecca Krans | Register now for the Master Gardener Program in Escanaba, Michigan, starting Aug. 25, 2016. Online registration is required by Aug. 11, limited and partial scholarship application are required by July 29.
July 19, 2016 | Erik Runkle | Growers, retailers and landscapers of ornamental plants are invited to this annual event Aug. 2, 2016, to learn about new plants and how they perform in gardens.
July 19, 2016 | Gretchen Voyle | Milkweed is not just for monarch butterflies – milkweed tussock moths are also a frequent diner.
July 12, 2016 | Beth Bishop | Two new Enviro-weather stations have been added in Oceana County in 2016.
June 23, 2016 | Erik Runkle | Greenhouse growers, landscapers and garden center and nursery operators are invited to visit leading young plant growers and the MSU gardens from July 25 to Aug. 5, 2016.
June 15, 2016 | Heidi Wollaeger | Greenhouse growers will need to adapt their biological control strategies for thrips with temperatures above 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
May 19, 2016 | Heidi Wollaeger | Garden center retailers should encourage consumers to break the botanical boundaries and combine annuals, perennials and foliage plants for some eye-catching containers.
May 11, 2016 | Dixie Sandborn | You can cut peonies and store them for weeks or months if you know when to cut and how to properly store them.
April 20, 2016 | David Smitley | A new PDF publication is the complete guide to protecting pollinators while gardening, growing flowers or managing trees, shrubs or turfgrass in urban areas.
Find an Expert
Aug 2, 2016 | MSU Campus Plant & Soil Sciences Bldg. (1st floor), 1066 Bogue Street, East Lansing, MI 48823
Aug 4, 2016 | MSU Tollgate Farm and Education Center, 28115 Meadowbrook Road, Novi, MI 48377
Aug 16, 2016 | MSU Tollgate Farm and Education Center, 28115 Meadowbrook Road, Novi, MI 48377
Aug 25, 2016 | Washtenaw County office, 705 Zeeb Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Sep 8, 2016 | MSU Tollgate Farm and Education Center, 28115 Meadowbrook Road, Novi, MI 48377
Sep 22, 2016 | MSU Tollgate Farm and Education Center, 28115 Meadowbrook Road, Novi, MI 48377