Add color to your garden or yard by planting flowers. Need some help getting started?
General requirements and care
- Video on mulching to control weeds
- Drought-tolerant plants save water, money and time
- Design a water-smart landscape
- Selecting plants that will succeed on your lakefront
- How to use color in the landscape
- Statewide table for frost-free dates for choosing when to plant
- Light requirements, watering, and soil preparation from eXtension
- Video on summer rose care
- Poinsettia care
- Deer Barriers: Fencing, Repellants, Dog Restraint Systems
What kind of flowers to grow
- Tropical plants
- Identifying plants - USDA plant database
- Selecting, growing and designing perennials
- Growing milkweeds for monarch butterflies
- Wildfire-resistant landscape plants for Michigan
- Deer-resistant plants for homeowners
Native plants in the landscape and garden
- New: Video on matching native plants to your yard’s needs (Downloadable file)
- New: Video on smart reasons to choose native plants (Downloadable file)
- Video on selecting native or well-adapted plants to simplify meeting the plant’s needs
- Native plants can be a smart choice for Michigan landscapes
- Attracting beneficial insects with native flowering plants
- Visit nativeplants.msu.edu for fact sheets about specific plants and to learn about their ecosystem services.
Disease, insect and pest concerns
- Impatiens downy mildew: A curse and opportunity for smart gardeners
- Alternatives to impatiens: Avoid impatiens downy mildew with these alternative plants
- A Pocket Guide for IPM Scouting in Herbaceous Perennials
- Abiotic plant disorders, symptoms, signs and solutions: A diagnostic guide to problem solving
- Broad mites
- Brown marmorated stink bugs: Information for Michigan residents on a new home invader
- Daylily rust
- Gladiolus rust
- Hoary alyssum
- Managing pests around the home
- Managing pests in the landscape
- Interactive Plant Manager is an online diagnostic database for woody ornamentals from Cornell University’s IPM Program.
- Using organic fertilizers - tip sheet from Purdue University
- Reading a pesticide label
- Poison ivy identification and management
November 8, 2016 | Gretchen Voyle | It’s not too late to plan for next year’s garden party. Now’s the time to dig up tender, summer-flowering bulbs, tubers, rhizomes and corms and store them for winter.
October 12, 2016 | Rebecca Finneran | Using integrated pest management in your garden now will decrease your chances of insect pests and diseases next year.
October 10, 2016 | Rebecca Krans | Soil testing, removing plant material and adding organic mulches, compost and cover crops are all smart gardening techniques for fall cleanup.
September 28, 2016 | Gretchen Voyle | Milkweed plants can serve as host to many kinds of interesting insects, and can be grown using seeds of other milkweed plants.
September 23, 2016 | Rebecca Krans | Jeannette Hauver earned special recognition for her volunteer garden service of creating and maintaining 13 different flower gardens in Marquette, Michigan.
August 2, 2016 | Gretchen Voyle | Pretty in purple, cow vetch is an attractive plant that can serve as a feeding spot for beneficial insects and butterflies, but it can also overcrowd other landscape plants.
July 26, 2016 | Doug Landis | Monarch populations appear to be down this year in Michigan. Here’s why and what you can do to help.
July 21, 2016 | Rebecca Krans | Register now for the Master Gardener Program in Escanaba, Michigan, starting Aug. 25, 2016. Online registration is required by Aug. 11, limited and partial scholarship application are required by July 29.
July 19, 2016 | Erik Runkle | Growers, retailers and landscapers of ornamental plants are invited to this annual event Aug. 2, 2016, to learn about new plants and how they perform in gardens.
July 19, 2016 | Gretchen Voyle | Milkweed is not just for monarch butterflies – milkweed tussock moths are also a frequent diner.
Find an Expert
Jan 19, 2017 – Apr 27, 2017 | MSU Extension - Genesee County, 605 N. Saginaw Street, Suite 1A, Flint, MI 48502
Jan 21, 2017 – May 20, 2017 | Eastern UP Intermediate School District, 315 Armory Place, Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49873