Add color to your garden or yard by planting flowers. Need some help getting started?
General requirements and care
- Video on mulching to control weeds
- Drought-tolerant plants save water, money and time
- Design a water-smart landscape
- Selecting plants that will succeed on your lakefront
- How to use color in the landscape
- Statewide table for frost-free dates for choosing when to plant
- Light requirements, watering, and soil preparation from eXtension
- Video on summer rose care
- Poinsettia care
- Deer Barriers: Fencing, Repellants, Dog Restraint Systems
What kind of flowers to grow
- Tropical plants
- Identifying plants - USDA plant database
- Selecting, growing and designing perennials
- Growing milkweeds for monarch butterflies
- Wildfire-resistant landscape plants for Michigan
- Deer-resistant plants for homeowners
Native plants in the landscape and garden
- New: Video on matching native plants to your yard’s needs (Downloadable file)
- New: Video on smart reasons to choose native plants (Downloadable file)
- Video on selecting native or well-adapted plants to simplify meeting the plant’s needs
- Native plants can be a smart choice for Michigan landscapes
- Attracting beneficial insects with native flowering plants
- Visit nativeplants.msu.edu for fact sheets about specific plants and to learn about their ecosystem services.
Disease, insect and pest concerns
- Impatiens downy mildew: A curse and opportunity for smart gardeners
- Alternatives to impatiens: Avoid impatiens downy mildew with these alternative plants
- A Pocket Guide for IPM Scouting in Herbaceous Perennials
- Abiotic plant disorders, symptoms, signs and solutions: A diagnostic guide to problem solving
- Broad mites
- Brown marmorated stink bugs: Information for Michigan residents on a new home invader
- Daylily rust
- Gladiolus rust
- Hoary alyssum
- Managing pests around the home
- Managing pests in the landscape
- Interactive Plant Manager is an online diagnostic database for woody ornamentals from Cornell University’s IPM Program.
- Using organic fertilizers - tip sheet from Purdue University
- Reading a pesticide label
- Poison ivy identification and management
May 11, 2017 | Dixie Sandborn | More people are experimenting with growing fresh food with container gardening.
April 13, 2017 | Dixie Sandborn | Flowers like yarrow, columbine and foxglove are easy to grow and care for, have excellent vase life and there are many varieties from which to choose.
April 13, 2017 | Dixie Sandborn | Flowers like peony, zinnia and marigold are easy to grow and care for, have excellent vase life and there are many varieties from which to choose.
April 13, 2017 | Dixie Sandborn | When growing flowers for cutting, focus on a garden that will provide you with a good supply of flowers throughout the season.
April 6, 2017 | Alan Jaros | MSU Tollgate Farm is rolling out new Evenings in the Garden spring series starting April 15, 2017.
April 3, 2017 | Eric Anderson | What are good indicators that it is time to plant crops in spring?
March 22, 2017 | Rebecca Krans | Attend free Smart Gardening presentations, win garden door prizes and learn how to help native pollinators in your backyard at the Kiwanis Noon Home and Garden Show April 7-9, 2017, in Escanaba.
March 16, 2017 | Rebecca Finneran | Bare root perennials feature several advantages for gardeners over container-grown plants.
March 15, 2017 | Diane Brown | Welcome spring and receive great Smart Gardening tips to save you time and money at the Lansing Home and Garden Show, March 16-19, 2017.
February 7, 2017 | Rebecca Finneran | Nationally-known horticulturist and author Linda Chalker-Scott will get to the truth about common gardening myths at March 4 conference in Grand Rapids.
Find an Expert
May 25, 2017 | MSU Tollgate Farm and Education Center 28115 Meadowbrook Road - Novi, MI 48337
Jun 3, 2017 | MSU Tollgate Farm, 28115 Meadowbrook Rd., Novi, MI 48377
Jun 23, 2017 – Jun 24, 2017 | MSU University Club, 3435 Forest Rd Lansing, MI 48910
Jul 22, 2017 | MSU Tollgate Farm, 28115 Meadowbrook Rd., Novi, MI 48377
Jul 27, 2017 | Portage Township Community Building, W17361 Davis St., Curtis, MI 49820
Jul 28, 2017 | Watersmeet Township Community Center, N4660 US Hwy 45, Watersmeet, MI 49969
Aug 21, 2017 – Dec 4, 2017 | Ingham County Fair Grounds Community Center, 700 E. Ash St., Mason, MI 48854