Growing fruit is a fun way to put more fresh fruit into your diet.
General requirements and care
- NEW: Spotted wing Drosophila: A serious pest for the home gardener (June 2017)
- General fruit growing requirements and care
- Basic instructions and fruit disease and insect concerns
- Unusual Fruit Plants for Gardens in the North Central Region (E2747)
- A Guide to Identifying Plant Disease Symptoms(E1592)
- Plant Tissue Sampling to Determine Fruit Fertilizer Needs (E2482)
- Growing small fruit at home
- Growing tree fruit at home
- Blueberry Fruit Rot Identification Guide, Michigan Blueberry Facts
- Japanese Beetle, Michigan Blueberry Facts
- Virus and Virus-like Diseases of Blueberries, Michigan Blueberry Facts
- Blueberry Diseases in Michigan
- Managing the Nutrition of Highbush Blueberries
- Video on vineyard site selection
- Video on grape insect prevention
- Pest Control in Small Vineyards
- Common Diseases of the Grapevine in Michigan
- Growing Table Grapes in a Temperate Climate
- Table Grape Varieties for Michigan
- Vineyard Establishment I-Preplant Decisions
- Vineyard Establishment II-Planting and Early Care of Vineyards
- Wine Grape Varieties for Michigan
- Winter Injury to Grapevines and Methods of Protection
- Raspberry variety choices for Michigan
- Raspberry Diseases in Michigan
- Summer raspberry harvest video
Commercial fruit production
July 24, 2012 | Bindu Bhakta | Following these four simple steps will help you determine what kind of fertilizer you need for your lawn and garden – if any – and how much.
July 13, 2012 | Howard Russell | Begin scouting vegetable gardens, berries and landscape plants for the first signs of a spider mite problem.
July 5, 2012 | Dave Smitley and Rebecca Finneran | Deer browsing seems to be a big problem this summer. Consider these tips for preventing deer damage to your landscape.
June 7, 2012 | Bob Tritten | Michigan summer berry season is three weeks early this year. Early spring berry harvest is underway and that means the season will end early as well.
June 5, 2012 | Gary L. Heilig | Whitetail deer and garden landscapes don’t mix, unless you are thinking about what they like to put in their stomachs.
May 24, 2012 | Julia Darnton | May and June bring Michigan-grown early season items and plants to many farmers markets.
April 30, 2012 | Bindu Bhakta | Michigan State University (MSU) Extension home lawn and garden soil test mailer and soil test website give home gardeners the tools they need to grow healthy plants, protect the environment and save money.
April 17, 2012 | Gretchen Voyle | Know your critter by the damage that they cause.
April 5, 2012 | Beth Clawson | Starting your own seeds indoors offers a greater opportunity for variety in your garden.
April 4, 2012 | Mark Longstroth | Summer-like weather in March caused rapid fruit development in Michigan.
Find an Expert
Jan 15, 2018 – Apr 23, 2018 | GCCARD Building, 605 N. Saginaw Street (Suite 1A), Flint, MI, 48502
Jan 18, 2018 – Apr 26, 2018 | Bay College West, 2801 U.S. 2, Iron Mountain, MI 4801
Jan 24, 2018 – May 2, 2018 | Washtenaw Western Service Building, MSU Extension, 705 N. Zeeb Rd., Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Jan 24, 2018 – May 2, 2018 | Kalamazoo RESA - Wile Auditorium 1819 E. Milham Ave Portage, MI 490
Mar 1, 2018 – Jun 7, 2018 | Verkuilen Building, Assembly Rooms A&B 28115 Dunham Rd., Suite 12, Clinton Twp, MI 48036
Mar 8, 2018 – Jun 14, 2018 | Northwest Michigan Horticulture Research Center; 6686 S Center Hwy, Traverse City, MI 49684
Mar 10, 2018 – Jun 30, 2018 | Charles R. Drew Transition Center, 9600 Wyoming St., Detroit, MI 48204