Growing fruit is a fun way to put more fresh fruit into your diet.
General requirements and care
- NEW: Spotted wing Drosophila: A serious pest for the home gardener (June 2017)
- General fruit growing requirements and care
- Basic instructions and fruit disease and insect concerns
- Unusual Fruit Plants for Gardens in the North Central Region (E2747)
- A Guide to Identifying Plant Disease Symptoms(E1592)
- Plant Tissue Sampling to Determine Fruit Fertilizer Needs (E2482)
- Growing small fruit at home
- Growing tree fruit at home
- Blueberry Fruit Rot Identification Guide, Michigan Blueberry Facts
- Japanese Beetle, Michigan Blueberry Facts
- Virus and Virus-like Diseases of Blueberries, Michigan Blueberry Facts
- Blueberry Diseases in Michigan
- Managing the Nutrition of Highbush Blueberries
- Video on vineyard site selection
- Video on grape insect prevention
- Pest Control in Small Vineyards
- Common Diseases of the Grapevine in Michigan
- Growing Table Grapes in a Temperate Climate
- Table Grape Varieties for Michigan
- Vineyard Establishment I-Preplant Decisions
- Vineyard Establishment II-Planting and Early Care of Vineyards
- Wine Grape Varieties for Michigan
- Winter Injury to Grapevines and Methods of Protection
- Raspberry variety choices for Michigan
- Raspberry Diseases in Michigan
- Summer raspberry harvest video
Commercial fruit production
April 30, 2013 | Mary Wilson | Michigan State University Extension provides live and online smart gardening resources for new and experienced gardeners.
April 4, 2013 | Gary Heilig | Proper fertility is an important factor for high quality garden fruit production.
April 3, 2013 | Gretchen Voyle | Prevent landscape pests like deer, woodchucks and rabbits from damaging your landscape or garden with these tips.
April 2, 2013 | Mark Longstroth | In woody plants, the buds signal the end of eco-dormancy and the start of spring growth.
February 22, 2013 | Rebecca Finneran | Soils that contain adequate amounts of nutrients will enable gardeners to produce healthy plants.
January 9, 2013 | Gary Heilig | How to be a smart gardener when choosing strawberry varieties to grow.
January 2, 2013 | Gary Heilig | It’s not too early to start planning for a backyard orchard.
December 17, 2012 | Mark Longstroth | A simple soil test reveals whether blueberries will struggle or thrive in a new site.
December 14, 2012 | Bill Shane | A new plum industry website will help plum lovers find locally grown, fresh market plums, as well as how to grow them.
November 14, 2012 | Kristine Hahn | Food systems and ecology are tied together and can be demonstrated in pollinator gardens.
Find an Expert
Jan 15, 2018 – Apr 23, 2018 | GCCARD Building, 605 N. Saginaw Street (Suite 1A), Flint, MI, 48502
Jan 18, 2018 – Apr 26, 2018 | Bay College West, 2801 U.S. 2, Iron Mountain, MI 4801
Jan 24, 2018 – May 2, 2018 | Washtenaw Western Service Building, MSU Extension, 705 N. Zeeb Rd., Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Jan 24, 2018 – May 2, 2018 | Kalamazoo RESA - Wile Auditorium 1819 E. Milham Ave Portage, MI 490
Mar 1, 2018 – Jun 7, 2018 | Verkuilen Building, Assembly Rooms A&B 28115 Dunham Rd., Suite 12, Clinton Twp, MI 48036
Mar 8, 2018 – Jun 14, 2018 | Northwest Michigan Horticulture Research Center; 6686 S Center Hwy, Traverse City, MI 49684
Mar 10, 2018 – Jun 30, 2018 | Charles R. Drew Transition Center, 9600 Wyoming St., Detroit, MI 48204