Growing fruit is a fun way to put more fresh fruit into your diet.
NEW: Spotted wing Drosophila: A serious pest for the home gardener (June 2017)
General requirements and care
- General fruit growing requirements and care
- Basic instructions and fruit disease and insect concerns
- Unusual Fruit Plants for Gardens in the North Central Region (E2747)
- A Guide to Identifying Plant Disease Symptoms(E1592)
- Plant Tissue Sampling to Determine Fruit Fertilizer Needs (E2482)
- Growing small fruit at home
- Growing tree fruit at home
- Blueberry Fruit Rot Identification Guide, Michigan Blueberry Facts
- Japanese Beetle, Michigan Blueberry Facts
- Virus and Virus-like Diseases of Blueberries, Michigan Blueberry Facts
- Blueberry Diseases in Michigan
- Managing the Nutrition of Highbush Blueberries
- Video on vineyard site selection
- Video on grape insect prevention
- Pest Control in Small Vineyards
- Common Diseases of the Grapevine in Michigan
- Growing Table Grapes in a Temperate Climate
- Table Grape Varieties for Michigan
- Vineyard Establishment I-Preplant Decisions
- Vineyard Establishment II-Planting and Early Care of Vineyards
- Wine Grape Varieties for Michigan
- Winter Injury to Grapevines and Methods of Protection
- Raspberry variety choices for Michigan
- Raspberry Diseases in Michigan
- Summer raspberry harvest video
Commercial fruit production
June 28, 2017 | Mark Longstroth | Growers will need a fresh approach to managing spotted wing Drosophila.
June 6, 2017 | Duke Elsner | This invasive fly, spotted wing Drosophila, can infest and destroy fruits of many plants in home gardens and landscapes.
May 8, 2017 | Rebecca Finneran | Cedar-apple rust fungi looks creepy, but rarely causes significant damage to junipers.
May 2, 2017 | Diane Brown | Learn how to grow and preserve two of summer’s best fruits, strawberries and raspberries, during “It’s the Berries” class in Ingham County. As a bonus, you’ll get to take home a jar of jam.
April 6, 2017 | Alan Jaros | MSU Tollgate Farm is rolling out new Evenings in the Garden spring series starting April 15, 2017.
April 3, 2017 | Eric Anderson | What are good indicators that it is time to plant crops in spring?
March 22, 2017 | Rebecca Krans | Attend free Smart Gardening presentations, win garden door prizes and learn how to help native pollinators in your backyard at the Kiwanis Noon Home and Garden Show April 7-9, 2017, in Escanaba.
March 15, 2017 | Diane Brown | Welcome spring and receive great Smart Gardening tips to save you time and money at the Lansing Home and Garden Show, March 16-19, 2017.
February 15, 2017 | Kara Lynch | February 27 is National Strawberry Day, but you should eat them year-round to enjoy their health benefits.
February 7, 2017 | Rebecca Finneran | Nationally-known horticulturist and author Linda Chalker-Scott will get to the truth about common gardening myths at March 4 conference in Grand Rapids.
Find an Expert
Jul 22, 2017 | Independence Oaks County Park Wint Nature Center 9501 Sashabaw Road Clarkston, MI 48304
Jul 22, 2017 | Kent/MSU Extension 775 Ball Avenue, NE Grand Rapids 49503
Jul 26, 2017 | Southwest Michigan Research and Extension Center, 1791 Hillandale Rd., Benton Harbor, MI 49022