Growing fruit is a fun way to put more fresh fruit into your diet.
General requirements and care
- General fruit growing requirements and care
- Basic instructions and fruit disease and insect concerns
- Unusual Fruit Plants for Gardens in the North Central Region (E2747)
- A Guide to Identifying Plant Disease Symptoms(E1592)
- Plant Tissue Sampling to Determine Fruit Fertilizer Needs (E2482)
- Growing small fruit at home
- Growing tree fruit at home
- Blueberry Fruit Rot Identification Guide, Michigan Blueberry Facts
- Japanese Beetle, Michigan Blueberry Facts
- Virus and Virus-like Diseases of Blueberries, Michigan Blueberry Facts
- Blueberry Diseases in Michigan
- Managing the Nutrition of Highbush Blueberries
- Video on grape insect prevention
- Pest Control in Small Vineyards
- Common Diseases of the Grapevine in Michigan
- Growing Table Grapes in a Temperate Climate
- Table Grape Varieties for Michigan
- Vineyard Establishment I-Preplant Decisions
- Vineyard Establishment II-Planting and Early Care of Vineyards
- Wine Grape Varieties for Michigan
- Winter Injury to Grapevines and Methods of Protection
- New: Raspberry variety choices for Michigan
- Raspberry Diseases in Michigan
- Summer raspberry harvest video
Commercial fruit production
December 20, 2016 | Rebecca Finneran | Nationally-known horticulturists Linda Chalker-Scott and Stacey Hirvela are featured speakers at the 2017 Smart Gardening Conference on March 4 in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
November 18, 2016 | Erin Lizotte | Chestnut harvest in Michigan is estimated to have doubled in 2016.
October 24, 2016 | Karen Fifield | Why do we have to blanch produce before canning or freezing?
October 21, 2016 | Dixie Sandborn | What I learned about harvesting cranberries after visiting DeGrandchamp Farms in South Haven, Michigan, to see the cranberry harvest.
July 21, 2016 | Rebecca Krans | Register now for the Master Gardener Program in Escanaba, Michigan, starting Aug. 25, 2016. Online registration is required by Aug. 11, limited and partial scholarship application are required by July 29.
July 12, 2016 | Laurie Messing | Michigan grown plums will soon be ready.
July 12, 2016 | Beth Bishop | Two new Enviro-weather stations have been added in Oceana County in 2016.
June 30, 2016 | Catherine Lindell | Bird damage may be more intense in dry years as birds turn to fruit to meet their nutrition and hydration needs. Fruit growers can employ one or more bird deterrent strategies.
May 13, 2016 | Mark Longstroth | Plum growers need to keep on top of black knot, a disfiguring disease that can quickly destroy a tree.
May 4, 2016 | Gretchen Voyle | Cedar-apple rust is a fungal disease found on cedar and apple trees, and affects each host differently.
Find an Expert
Jan 18, 2017 | Grand Traverse Resort & Spa, 100 Grand Traverse Resort Blvd, Acme, MI 49610
Jan 19, 2017 – Apr 27, 2017 | MSU Extension - Genesee County, 605 N. Saginaw Street, Suite 1A, Flint, MI 48502
Jan 21, 2017 – May 20, 2017 | Eastern UP Intermediate School District, 315 Armory Place, Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49873
Feb 21, 2017 – Feb 21, 2017 | Sheraton Detroit Novi Hotel, 21111 Haggerty Rd, Novi, MI, 48375