Growing fruit is a fun way to put more fresh fruit into your diet.
General requirements and care
- NEW: Spotted wing Drosophila: A serious pest for the home gardener (June 2017)
- General fruit growing requirements and care
- Basic instructions and fruit disease and insect concerns
- Unusual Fruit Plants for Gardens in the North Central Region (E2747)
- A Guide to Identifying Plant Disease Symptoms(E1592)
- Plant Tissue Sampling to Determine Fruit Fertilizer Needs (E2482)
- Growing small fruit at home
- Growing tree fruit at home
- Blueberry Fruit Rot Identification Guide, Michigan Blueberry Facts
- Japanese Beetle, Michigan Blueberry Facts
- Virus and Virus-like Diseases of Blueberries, Michigan Blueberry Facts
- Blueberry Diseases in Michigan
- Managing the Nutrition of Highbush Blueberries
- Video on vineyard site selection
- Video on grape insect prevention
- Pest Control in Small Vineyards
- Common Diseases of the Grapevine in Michigan
- Growing Table Grapes in a Temperate Climate
- Table Grape Varieties for Michigan
- Vineyard Establishment I-Preplant Decisions
- Vineyard Establishment II-Planting and Early Care of Vineyards
- Wine Grape Varieties for Michigan
- Winter Injury to Grapevines and Methods of Protection
- Raspberry variety choices for Michigan
- Raspberry Diseases in Michigan
- Summer raspberry harvest video
Commercial fruit production
August 14, 2017 | Rebecca Finneran | If you haven’t heard of Michigan State University Extension’s Smart Gardening initiative, its goal is to promote earth friendly and sustainable practices that will save gardeners time, effort and money.
June 6, 2017 | Duke Elsner | This invasive fly, spotted wing Drosophila, can infest and destroy fruits of many plants in home gardens and landscapes.
May 8, 2017 | Rebecca Finneran | Cedar-apple rust fungi looks creepy, but rarely causes significant damage to junipers.
May 2, 2017 | Diane Brown | Learn how to grow and preserve two of summer’s best fruits, strawberries and raspberries, during “It’s the Berries” class in Ingham County. As a bonus, you’ll get to take home a jar of jam.
April 6, 2017 | Alan Jaros | MSU Tollgate Farm is rolling out new Evenings in the Garden spring series starting April 15, 2017.
April 3, 2017 | Eric Anderson | What are good indicators that it is time to plant crops in spring?
March 22, 2017 | Rebecca Krans | Attend free Smart Gardening presentations, win garden door prizes and learn how to help native pollinators in your backyard at the Kiwanis Noon Home and Garden Show April 7-9, 2017, in Escanaba.
March 15, 2017 | Diane Brown | Welcome spring and receive great Smart Gardening tips to save you time and money at the Lansing Home and Garden Show, March 16-19, 2017.
February 15, 2017 | Kara Lynch | February 27 is National Strawberry Day, but you should eat them year-round to enjoy their health benefits.
February 7, 2017 | Rebecca Finneran | Nationally-known horticulturist and author Linda Chalker-Scott will get to the truth about common gardening myths at March 4 conference in Grand Rapids.
Find an Expert
Oct 14, 2017 | Quality Inn 1021 N. State St., St. Ignace, MI 49781