Growing fruit is a fun way to put more fresh fruit into your diet.
General requirements and care
- General fruit growing requirements and care
- Basic instructions and fruit disease and insect concerns
- Unusual Fruit Plants for Gardens in the North Central Region (E2747)
- A Guide to Identifying Plant Disease Symptoms(E1592)
- Plant Tissue Sampling to Determine Fruit Fertilizer Needs (E2482)
- Growing small fruit at home
- Growing tree fruit at home
- Blueberry Fruit Rot Identification Guide, Michigan Blueberry Facts
- Japanese Beetle, Michigan Blueberry Facts
- Virus and Virus-like Diseases of Blueberries, Michigan Blueberry Facts
- Blueberry Diseases in Michigan
- Managing the Nutrition of Highbush Blueberries
- Video on grape insect prevention
- Pest Control in Small Vineyards
- Common Diseases of the Grapevine in Michigan
- Growing Table Grapes in a Temperate Climate
- Table Grape Varieties for Michigan
- Vineyard Establishment I-Preplant Decisions
- Vineyard Establishment II-Planting and Early Care of Vineyards
- Wine Grape Varieties for Michigan
- Winter Injury to Grapevines and Methods of Protection
- New: Raspberry variety choices for Michigan
- Raspberry Diseases in Michigan
- Summer raspberry harvest video
Commercial fruit production
March 22, 2017 | Rebecca Krans | Attend free Smart Gardening presentations, win garden door prizes and learn how to help native pollinators in your backyard at the Kiwanis Noon Home and Garden Show April 7-9, 2017, in Escanaba.
March 15, 2017 | Diane Brown | Welcome spring and receive great Smart Gardening tips to save you time and money at the Lansing Home and Garden Show, March 16-19, 2017.
February 15, 2017 | Kara Lynch | February 27 is National Strawberry Day, but you should eat them year-round to enjoy their health benefits.
February 7, 2017 | Rebecca Finneran | Nationally-known horticulturist and author Linda Chalker-Scott will get to the truth about common gardening myths at March 4 conference in Grand Rapids.
December 20, 2016 | Rebecca Finneran | Nationally-known horticulturists Linda Chalker-Scott and Stacey Hirvela are featured speakers at the 2017 Smart Gardening Conference on March 4 in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
November 18, 2016 | Erin Lizotte | Chestnut harvest in Michigan is estimated to have doubled in 2016.
October 24, 2016 | Karen Fifield | Why do we have to blanch produce before canning or freezing?
October 21, 2016 | Dixie Sandborn | What I learned about harvesting cranberries after visiting DeGrandchamp Farms in South Haven, Michigan, to see the cranberry harvest.
July 21, 2016 | Rebecca Krans | Register now for the Master Gardener Program in Escanaba, Michigan, starting Aug. 25, 2016. Online registration is required by Aug. 11, limited and partial scholarship application are required by July 29.
July 12, 2016 | Laurie Messing | Michigan grown plums will soon be ready.
Find an Expert
Apr 7, 2017 – Apr 9, 2017 | Ruth Butler Building, UP State Fairgrounds, 2401 12th Ave. N, Escanaba, MI 49829