- Identifying physiological and chemical disorders
- Developing a Greater Awareness of Your Vineyard’s Condition
- Summer Pruning of Grapevines – video
- Mechanical Pruning of Grapevines – video
- Pruning Neglected Grapevines – video
- Pruning Grapevines That Have Been Winter-Injured – video
- Pruning Grapevines: How to Dress – video
- Pruning Equipment for the Manual Pruning of Grapevines – video
- Pruning Mature Grapevines: The Basic Steps – video
- Pruning Grapevines When they are Approaching Full Size – video
- Pruning Grapevines Before the Second Growing Season – video
- Pruning Grapevines Before and After Planting – video
- Layering a Pruning Technique for Replacing or Renewing Grapevines – video
- Pruning Severity: How Much to Leave on a Grapevine – video
- The Renewal Zone – video
- The Basic Skills for Pruning Grapevines – video
- Pruning Grapevines - video
- Cane Positioning
- Considerations for the Mechanical Pruning of Concord grapevines
- Growing Table Grapes in a Temperature Climates, MSUE Bulletin E2774. Includes a discussion of parts of the grapevine and the fundamentals of pruning grapevines.
- New: Vineyard site selection Part 1: The global view – video
- New: Vineyard site selection Part 2: Choosing your vineyard site within a viticulture region – video
- New: Vineyard site selection Part 3: The valley – video
Spring freeze - frost protection in vineyards
- Factors Related to Spring Frost Damage: What Are the Options
- 2002 Michigan grape growing season - effects of frost
- See articles in our weather/climate section for managing vineyards after frost and more tips for improving your vineyard’s air flow
The future: Unmanned systems and technology
- Unmanned Systems and Technology Applications in Viticulture, Weathering the Climate: Cultivation and Technology in Grape Production conference on Sept. 5, 2014
- Tying Grapevines Part 1: Vineyard Situations Requiring Tying – video
- Tying Grapevines Part 2: Materials Used for Tying - video
- Tying Grapevines Part 3: Techniques for Tying - video
- Tying Grapevines Part 4: Knots Used for Tying Grapevines with Twine - video
Understanding grapevine structure
- Structure of a Grapevine Part 1: Basic parts of a dormant grapevine - video
- Structure of a Grapevine Part 2: Basic parts of a dormant grapevine - video
- Grape Buds: Grape buds on the vine during the growing season - video
- Green Parts of the Vine: Green parts of the vine during the growing season - video
- Life Story of a Grape Cluster: Development of a grape cluster over a growing season - video
- Table Grape Varieties for Michigan, MSUE bulletin E2642.
- Cold hardy grapes: They tried it, they liked it. Research surveys of Michigan tasting room visitors and Midwestern wine drinkers indicate low awareness and positive acceptance of cold hardy grape varietals.
Vine training systems
- Visit the vine training systems page for more information on the purpose, principles, advantages and disadvantages of the different kinds of training systems.
- Requirements for becoming and operating a winery
- Engineering a Modern Vineyard Trellis
- Sources of Vines for Wine Grape Varieties
- Vineyard Establishment 1: Preplant Decisions, MSUE bulletin E2644.
- Vineyard Establishment 2: Planting and Early Care, MSUE bulletin E2645.
- A 21st Century Model Concord Vineyard: Status of a project at the MSU Southwest Michigan Research & Extension Center that seeks to increase the yield per acre of Concord grapes of acceptable market quality - video
- Mother Nature batters northwest Michigan wine grapes 2014-2015
- Grapevine Cold Hardiness: Mechanisms of Cold Acclimation, Mid-Winter Hardiness Maintenance, and Spring Deacclimation.
- Assessing and Managing Grapevines in Response to Winter Injury
- Construction of Equipment for Hilling-up and Taking-Out Soil Around Grafted Grapevines
- Mechanics for Avoiding Injury to Cold-Tender Grape Varieties
- Estimating Functional Nodes Retained in Winter and/or Frost Damaged Vineyards