Preventing foodborne illness and ensuring a safer food supply
MSU Extension Action
- 99 percent follow research-based recipes for home food preservation.
- 99 percent use correct processing methods to safely preserve low- and high-acid foods.
The Put It Up series teaches youth participants six food preservation methods: boiling water canning, jam making, pickling, freezing, drying and pressure canning. MSU Extension recently adopted the program, and so far participants have reported that as a result of the program:
- 76 percent increased their knowledge about food pathogens and how to prevent or slow their growth.
- 97 percent would use science-based recipes when preserving food in the future.
ServSafe is a national certification program offered by MSU Extension for people who work in food service. 80 percent of participants passed the ServSafe exam with an average passing score of 81 percent.
Cooking for Crowds is designed for nonprofit organizations that prepare food for the public. Program evaluation results estimate that within 3 months after the class, a typical participant reaches an average of 428 individuals with served food. Participants report that after taking the course:
- 79 percent can properly identify controlling times and temperatures.
- 77 percent understand the cause of foodborne pathogens.
- 89 percent know the correct methods of cleaning and sanitizing food preparation surfaces.
MSU Extension’s Cottage Food Law programs help participants become certified to prepare food products in home kitchens and launch their businesses. Participants in the Cottage Food Law ‒ The Basics program report that after taking the course:
- 70 percent gained new knowledge in cleaning and sanitizing practices.
- 53 percent gained new knowledge in preventing crosscontamination.
Participants in the single-meeting Cottage Food Law ‒ Business educational program report that after taking the course.
- 67 percent gained new knowledge in cleaning and sanitizing practices.
- 57 percent now regularly check temperatures to ensure safe food storage.