Ornamental Pest Management: Commercial Applicator Training Manual - Category 3B (E2291)
After identifying the pest and understanding its biology and economic significance, you are ready to develop a program which provides effective, practical, economical and environmentally-sound pest management.
Sorry, the item you are requesting is currently out of stock at shop.msu.edu.
This manual is intended to prepare pesticide applicators in Category 3B, ornamental pest management, for certification under Act 451, Natural Resources and Environmental Protection, Part 83, Pesticide Control. This category includes the management of pests of outdoor ornamental plants including evergreens, shrubs, shade trees, ground covers, and flowering plants. Included in this category are commercial applicators managing pests of nursery stock. Christmas tree production is designated as part of Category 2, Forest Pest Management. The “Pesticide Applicator Core Training Manual” (E-2195) which explains safety considerations, pesticide laws, and integrated pest management principles, should also be studied to prepare for certification.
Some suggestions for studying the manual are:
1. Find a place and time for study where you will not be disturbed.
2. Read the entire manual through once to understand the scope and form and presentation of the material.
3. Then study one section of the manual at a time. You may want to underline important points in the manual or take written notes as you study the section.
4. Write answers to the review questions at the end of each section. These questions help you learn and evaluate your knowledge of the subject. They are an important part of your study.
5. Reread the entire manual once again when you have finished studying all of the sections. Review with care any sections that you feel you do not fully understand.
After completing your study of this manual and the core manual (E-2195) to become initially certified as a commercial pesticide applicator for ornamental pest management, take the core exam and category 3B exam. To become recertified take the 3B recertification exam which includes core information. These exams are administered by the Michigan Department of Agriculture.
Chapter 1: Principles of Pest Management
Selection of Methods
Chapter 2: Pest Management Techniques
Mechanical and Physical Controls
Chapter 3: Application of Pesticides
Selecting a Pesticide
Pesticide Application Equipment
Spray Application Techniques
Chapter 4: Pesticide Safety
First Aid Procedures
Safe Pesticide Handling
Chapter 5: Non-pest Disorders and Landscape Weeds
Environmental and Cultural Disorders
Managing Landscape Weeds
Chapter 6: Biology and Management of Pests
Diseases of Ornamental Plants
Monitoring Disease Activity
Infectious Disease Management
Insects of Ornamental Plants
Snails and Slugs
Answers to Chapter Review Questions
Emergency Phone Numbers