Michigan Fresh Recipe: Sweet Potatoes
Michigan-grown sweet potatoes are available July through March.
Sweet potatoes have many health benefits. They are low in fat, low in sodium and high in fiber, and contain vitamin C. Wash sweet potatoes
before you prepare them and cook them in their skins to retain their vitamin content. Store sweet potatoes in temperatures between 45 and 50 °F to keep
Preserving sweet potatoes and other fruits and vegetables by freezing them when they are at their nutritional peak allows people to use them throughout the year. For the best quality, preserve only the amount of sweet potatoes that your family can eat in one year.
Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Makes 6 servings
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Wash and peel sweet potatoes.
- Cut into 1/4-inch slices.
- In a large bowl, toss slices in olive oil until coated. Sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired.
- On a baking sheet, spread in a single layer.
- Bake at 425 °F for 20 minutes or until tender and golden brown, turning occationally to brown evenly.
For more information on Michigan Sweet Potatoes:
- Printable Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fry Recipe Card
- Michigan Fresh - Sweet Potato Fact Sheet
- Michigan Fresh - Recipe Cards