Michigan Fresh Recipe: Apples
Using, Storing and Preserving Apples
Michigan-grown apples are available most of the year.
For maximum quality, store apples in a cool place, between 32 and 40 °F. Apples stored at this temperature maintain nutritional benefits such as B vitamins, fiber and vitamin C and can be kept for about a month. There are many varieties of apples, and they can be prepared in many ways.
|Type of Apple||Best Use|
Ida Red, McIntosh,
|Rome Jonigold, Cortland||Canning|
Preserving apples and other fruits andvegetables by freezing or canning themwhen they are at their nutritional peak allows people to use them throughout the year.
Makes 4 servings
- 4 large baking apples
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Wax paper to cover
- Wash apples and remove core.
- Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each apple to form a flat surface.
- Place apples in a microwave-safe baking dish.
- In a small dish, mix brown sugar and cinnamon
- Spoon mixture into center of apples.
- Cover apples with wax paper and microwave on high power 6 to 10
- minutes or until apples are soft.
- Printable Microwave-Bakes Apples Recipe Card
- Michigan Fresh - Apples Fact Sheet
- Michigan Fresh - Recipe Cards