Five for Fiber (E2805)
Information on the benefits of fiber in your diet. Also includes a listing of common fruits and vegetables and their fiber content.
- Helps keep bowels regular
- Helps prevent cancers: colon, breast and prostate.
- Helps lower cholesterol and reduces heart disease risk.
Eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables each day to get fiber.
Check out ways to get fiber
- Eat a banana, orange or other fruit every morning.
- Have raisins or an apple for a snack.
- Eat soup with veggies for a meal.
- Have a baked potato with low-fat salad dressing for lunch.
- Slice zucchini and carrots into your salad.
- Try canned pears or applesauce for dessert.
- Eat meals with dried beans. Try beans and rice, bean soup, chili, baked beans or bean dip.
Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water each day. Fiber and water work together to keep bowels regular.