- Height: 20’ - 30’
- Spread: 20’ - 30’
- Shape: Round, spreading
- Site preference: Rich, moist soils
- Zone: 3b - 9a
- Wet/dry: Prefers moist soil, but will tolerate some intermittent drought.
- pH: 4.0 - 7.4
- Native range: Eastern United States
- Other: Prefers shaded, moist soils.
- Ornamental characteristics: “Muscled” bark, good orange-red fall color, clumps or single stem. Transplant in spring, somewhat slower to establish. Native to Michigan and eastern United States.
- Pests: Prone to ice damage. Two-line chestnut borers can be a problem when plants are stressed.
Print a PDF of this page: American Hornbeam