- Height: 40’
- Spread: 25’
- Site characteristics: Dry-moist and moist valley bottoms and lower slopes.
- Zone: 3b - 9a
- Wet/dry: Prefers moist, but will tolerate moderately dry soils once established
- Native range: Eastern United States
- Salt: Very sensitive
- pH: 4.2 – 7.6
- Other: Tolerates light shade
- Shape: Upright oval
- Foliage: Dark green
- Fall color: Yellow
- Other: Slow growing
- Additional: Slow to recover from transplanting, transplant in spring
- Pests: Can develop witches broom. Prone to some chestnut borer damage.
Print a PDF of this page: American Hophornbeam