4-H Sportsmanship Activity: Pass the Fruit
Play a simple yet effective game of showing the lasting effect of words.
- A piece of fruit that easily bruises (ex: apple, peach, banana)
- Knife or scissors to cut the fruit
Instruct everyone to sit in a circle while the leader begins with the fruit in his or her hands. The leader should then begin a conversation, using the prompting questions below, to discuss how negative comments may have an effect on the participants and others.
Potential prompting questions for leader:
- Have you ever heard someone use hurtful words about another person during competition?
- If so, how did the person who heard the words seem to feel?
- How did you know?
- What did they do?
- How did they act?
- Has anyone used hurtful words about you during competition?
- If so, how did that make you feel?
- Did those feelings go away immediately?
- How easy is it to say a negative comment about someone?
- What are some ways to remind yourself to think before you speak?
- How do you act around someone who consistently talks negatively?
- How do you correct yourself when you realize you’ve said a negative comment and regret it?
- Does this activity make you think differently about the effects of words on others?
- How do you think the different fruits mimic different personality types?