4-H Sportsmanship Activity: Common Ground
Respect for others
- Recognize the similarities and differences within a group.
- Describe how respecting one anothers’ differences affects sportsmanship.
- Paper and writing utensils
- Timer or clock
- The leader will divide the group into small groups of five to eight.
- Each group will be given three minutes to create a list of as many things as possible that all group members have in common. The only rule is that you may not list similar body parts, such as arm and legs, etc.
- After 3 minutes, ask each group to share their list and see which team has the most.
- How easy was it to discover something in common with one team member? With all team members?
- What does this reveal about the extent to which we are alike? The ways in which we are different?
- How can knowing our similarities help us to respect one another? How can knowing our differences help us respect one another?
- How does this relate to sportsmanship?