Become an Extension Master Gardener Volunteer
Qualifications for Trainees:
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Have an enthusiasm for gardening.
- Be willing to commit to completing at least 40 hours of community-based volunteer service through horticulture activities.
- Posses a willingness to educate others in the community about environmentally and economically sound practices.
Steps for Becoming a MSU Extension Master Gardener
- Find a scheduled training location under Upcoming Training Locations and click on the link to enroll for the appropriate class location. (Additional training locations are added as details are determined so check back for additionals sites in the future.)
- Please note: The enrollment process includes payment (check or credit card) of a $300 registration fee and completion of the online application.
- Complete the required 14-week training program.
- Within one year of successfully completing the training program, complete 40 hours of horticulture-based service volunteering to share research-based garden knowledge with others in your community.
- Maintain your MSU Extension Master Gardener (EMG) volunteer status by completing at least 15 hours of community service and five hours of education each year.
Benefits of Becoming an Extension Master Gardener (EMG) volunteer:
- Receive research-based training and instruction on 14 major horticulture topics and environmentally sound practices.
- Have the chance to improve the quality of life and inspire others in your communities through service-based horticulture activities.
- Earn the title of certified MSU Extension Master Gardener (EMG) volunteer and receive Master Gardener Program certification and name badge.
- Enjoy access to exclusive MSU Extension Consumer Horticulture Program workshops and events. (e.g. Master Gardener College)
- Work toward additional recognition opportunities. (e.g. Advanced EMG certification and volunteer hour recognition)
If you have questions about the training and requirements please contact the person listed for the class location you are interested in participating in.
Find Upcoming Training Locations in your area.