Get kids on target through the 4-H Shooting Sports Program!
The Michigan 4-H Shooting Sports program has been active for more than 20 years. Youth in more than 70 counties participate in a variety of shooting sports areas every year! Members can learn safety and shooting techniques for shotgun, rifle, air gun, muzzle loading and archery. They learn how to handle firearms responsibly for target practice and hunting and learn respect for the natural environment.
The goal of all 4-H Youth Development programs is youth development. All project areas work toward developing skills youth need to be productive and positive adults in society. Decision making, teamwork, problem solving, being responsible and having high self-esteem are just a few of the many skills 4-H helps to develop.
Objectives specific to the 4-H Shooting Sports program are to:
- Encourage participation in environmental and outdoor education programs by exposing youth to shooting, hunting and other related activities.
- Support youth in developing valuable conservation and natural resources related knowledge, skills and stewardship.
- Enhance development of self-concept, character and personal growth through safe, educational and socially acceptable involvement in shooting.
- Teach safe and responsible use of firearms and archery equipment.
- Promote the highest standards of safety, sportsmanship, ethical behavior, and conservation.
- Strengthen families through participation in lifelong recreational activities.
- Provide hands-on learning experiences.
2017 Michigan 4-H State Shooting Sports Tournament. The State Shoot will be held July 29th at Centerline of Calhoun County.
- Discipline Rules
- T-shirts will be for sale on site in a variety of sizes, colors and styles that can be custom made for you! Be sure to check it out!
2017 Michigan 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor Certification Workshop. April 28-30, 2017
- e-learning course information
NEW FOR FUTURE WORKSHOPS: All four modules of the e-learning course must be completed by all workshop participants prior to the workshop. Participants will not be certified if modules are not completed prior to attending the workshop.
- Certification and Recertification Policies and Application (Updated March 2017)
2017 National 4-H Shooting Sports Invitational. June 25 - 30, 2017.
In each 4-H shooting sports discipline, all youth learn basic skills and shoot under the direct supervision of a certified instructor/4-H leader for that discipline.
- Local 4-H Shooting Sports clubs are open to all youth ages 9 to 19.
- Archery or BB Gun can be appropriate for ages 7 and 8 with one on one adult direct supervision at the discretion and authorization of a certified shooting sports instructor.
Range Policy - View the Michigan 4-H Shooting Sports Range Policy for guidance to range requirements
- Addendum - Backstops
Adult 4-H Volunteers
4-H Shooting Sports Instructors
All 4-H Shooting Sports clubs are supervised by certified 4-H Shooting Sports Instructors. Certification workshops are held throughout the year in various locations in addition to the state training at the Kettunen Center in April. (For information on becoming a 4-H Shooting Sports Certified Instructor, please visit 4-H Volunteer Job Description: 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor and Michigan State 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor Certification and Recertification Policies and Application.) Instructor manuals are distributed at the 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor Training Workshops. This is the only place to obtain an instructor manual.
How can ‘non-certified’ volunteers help out?
Safe shooting sports programs require a lot of support from adult volunteers. There are many ways to help out — your certified instructor can provide you with additional information. Contact your county MSU Extension office or find a local club in your area and don’t be afraid to ask how you can help!
Support 4-H Shooting Sports
- Organizations wanting to expand youth development through conservation education such as hunting and shooting sports
- Sportsman’s clubs willing to share their space with local groups
Assistance from individuals or organizations is welcome and critical to our mission. To donate, please contact the Michigan 4-H Youth Foundation. The following organizations have provided crucial funding support to youth shooting sports programs so they remain accessible to all youth in Michigan:
- National Wild Turkey Federation
- Michigan Chapter of the NWTF
- The Federal Cartridge Company
- Michigan 4-H Foundation; 4-H Shooting Sports Endowment Fund
- MSU Extension 4-H Youth Development
For more information on how to get involved as a youth or volunteer, contact your county MSU Extension office or:
Nick Baumgart, Extension Educator
Environmental & Outdoor Education & Shooting Sports
Michigan State University Extension
527 Stephenson St.
Norway, MI 49870
February 28, 2017 | Nick Baumgart | Learn more about archery in Michigan 4-H Shooting Sports. Rules and policy are included to help increase success and fun.
December 13, 2016 | Nick Baumgart | Are you in need of a gift for that youth shooting sports enthusiast? Use these tips to be resourceful when making that perfect purchase.
December 1, 2016 | Nick Baumgart | Partnerships for 4-H shooting sports makes programs sustainable and productive for youth. Learn more ways to foster and develop partnerships for strong youth programming.
September 15, 2016 | Nick Baumgart | Find out the newest archery event at the Michigan 4-H State Shoot that helps prepare youth for national competition.
August 15, 2016 | Nick Baumgart | The 2016 Michigan 4-H Shooting Sports Tournament drew a large number of participants and continues to build on positive youth development for participants.
July 25, 2016 | Nick Baumgart | Ten youth represented Michigan at the 2016 4-H Shooting Sports National Championships. Learn more about this exciting event and how to get involved.
July 19, 2016 | Jennifer Weichel | Michigan 4-H Shooting Sports teaches safety in handling firearms as well as many other life skills.
April 6, 2016 | Abbey Miller | The Michigan 4-H Foundation has announced grant and award opportunities of up to $1,000 to support local 4-H clubs and county programs. 4-H volunteer leaders, members and staff members may apply for these funds.
February 3, 2016 | Nick Baumgart | See the latest Snapshot summaries for Shooting Sports, Environmental Science and Outdoor Experiences to introduce youth to these exciting 4-H project areas.
October 7, 2015 | Nick Baumgart | Supplement your hunting experience with 4-H shooting sports and enjoy this exciting activity year-round.