Together with communities, FoodCorps serves to connects kids to healthy food in school
FoodCorps is a nationwide team of AmeriCorps leaders who collaborate with community partners to make schools healthier places for kids to eat, learn and grow. In underserved communities across the country, our AmeriCorps leaders teach students about healthy food through hands-on lessons, partner with farmers and food service workers to create nutritious and delicious school meals, and collaborate with communities to inspire a long-term culture of health.
All FoodCorps service members implement a 3-step strategy to:
- Deliver hands-on lessons in gardening, cooking and tasting healthy food
- Improve school meals
- Encourage a school-wide culture of health
Healthy food is an essential building block for a full life. But right now, we’ve got a generation of children who are overweight, vulnerable to diet-related disease, and more likely to suffer from a variety of health problems that will hold them back throughout their lifetimes.
- One in three of our nation’s children is on track to develop diabetes in their lifetime. For kids of color, it’s one in two.
- Children and adults who suffer from diet-related diseases score lower on tests, miss more days of school, advance less in their careers, and raise children who are likely to repeat the same cycle.
The FoodCorps vision - ‘We are creating a future in which all our nation’s children––regardless of class, race, or geography––know what healthy food is, care where it comes from, and eat it every day. Through our work, future generations will grow up to lead healthier and more productive lives.’
MSU Extension is the state partner organization for the FoodCorps Program in Michigan. We provide a network of Community Food Systems educators statewide who are trusted resources in their communities engaging in the promotion of sustainable food systems through applied research and outreach programming that improves the access and availability of locally produced food.
For more information on the FoodCorps Program in Michigan, contact:
- Terry McLean, State Partner Supervisor
Jeff Martin, FoodCorps MI Fellow
FoodCorps Blogs: https://foodcorps.org/category/blog-posts/