July 24-28, 2017
Michigan State University
Explore how Michigan’s abundant natural resources and growing agriculture industry are changing the face of energy and what it means to your family, Michigan and the world!
Michigan 4-H Renewable Energy Camp is a five-day exploration camp held at Michigan State University for youth ages 13-19. Campers will explore ideas, research and opportunities in the field of energy as it relates to natural resources and agriculture.
4-H Renewable Energy campers will stay in a campus dorm and experience campus life, enjoying a mix of recreational opportunities and learning experiences that may include:
- Tours of on-campus labs – See cutting-edge research centered on turning biomass into biofuel. Learn about brand new ideas and technologies that will play a significant role in our energy future.
- Kellogg Biological Station – Participate in hands-on research of a new biofuel crop and discuss water quality/quantity needs, greenhouse gas emissions and sustainable production practices.
- Farm and Home Visits – Visit farms and homes that have gone off the grid and explore renewable energy in action.
- Carbon Green Bioenergy – Watch this facility turn 50,000 bushels of corn into 135,000 gallons of ethanol – every day. Participants will not only see how it’s done, but help them do it!
- Wind Farm – See an operating wind farm and learn how much energy they can generate and how wind can impact our future.
- MSU Power Plant – Tour the Power Plant and see how conventional and alternative energy sources are being used to power the university.
4-H Renewable Energy campers will also conduct their own experiments and create their own biofuel!
To learn about the outcomes and impacts this camp has on young people review the one-page 2016 Impact Summary.
How do I apply?
What is the cost?
The cost to attend this five-day camp is just $190 ($200 for youth who are not 4-H members) and includes all meals, transportation to field trips, lodging and materials.
December 28, 2016 | Insa Raymond | Youth can explore biofuel at 4-H Renewable Energy Camp and through other 4-H science programs.
December 28, 2016 | Insa Raymond | Youth can explore wind energy at 4-H Renewable Energy Camp and through other 4-H science programs.
December 28, 2016 | Insa Raymond | Youth can explore solar energy at 4-H Renewable Energy Camp and through other 4-H science programs.
September 1, 2016 | Rosalyn Brummette | Through both precollege programs that prepare students for college success and an array of financial scholarships that make college more affordable, MSU Extension is helping youth to prepare and pay for college.
July 5, 2016 | Brian Wibby | Youth can take action as engaged global citizens to help ensure that people everywhere have access to energy by learning about Goal 7 of the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
June 20, 2016 | Alan Jaros | A parent’s guide to getting the most out of your child’s summer camp experience.
April 12, 2016 | Insa Raymond | Follow your passion for science, natural resources and renewable energy, build your science skills and meet new people at the 2016 4-H Renewable Energy Camp.
April 6, 2016 | Abbey Miller | The Michigan 4-H Foundation has announced grant and award opportunities of up to $1,000 to support local 4-H clubs and county programs. 4-H volunteer leaders, members and staff members may apply for these funds.