Raising Young Readers
These workshops and resources provide adults with the knowledge and skills they need to help children build their reading abilities and make the connection between learning to read and achieving academic goals and future success.
Participants that participate in this workshop will be able to:
- Understand the importance of children reading at grade level by the end of third grade.
- Be introduced to the Common Core stands for Engligh Language Arts.
- Gain skills to create/provide literacy rich environments for the children in their care.
- Receive a variety of resources that support literacy development.
For more information, contact an early childhood educator near you.
- Tips for Reading with Children
- Selecting Books for Children
- The Retelling Glove
- ABCs at Home with Me Literacy Kit Instructions
- QR Code Intro and Book List
- MSU Extension Family Book Sheets
- 4-H Military Family Book Sheets
- New prescription for parents: Read to your babies (article)
- Help your child learn to love reading with these five quick tips (article)
- Music in early childhood has a direct link to reading readiness (article)
- Check out MSU Extension’s video based resources on the MSU Extension Early Childhood YouTube channel. Topics of videos include: friendship skills, communication, developing independence, cooperation, misbehavior, early literacy, sibling relationships and much more. New video topics are added freqently!