Did you know?
- Michigan overdose deaths increased by 18% in 2016.
- Nearly ¾ of Michigan’s overdose deaths are attributable to opioids.
- Of the 2,335 drug overdose deaths in 2016, 1,689 were opioid-related.
- The Michigan Automated Prescription System (MAPS) reported 11.4 million prescriptions for painkillers were written in 2015, about 115 opioid prescriptions per 100 people.
Everyone can make a difference
- Keep talking about the opioid epidemic and its effect on our families – your experience may be valuable to someone else. Share your story to help break the stigma.
- Keep all medications stored in a safe and secure place where children or pets can’t reach them.
- Never share prescription medications, and be sure to safely dispose of unused and expired prescription medications through local drug take-backs.
- Learn to recognize the signs of opioid abuse.