Vegetable, field crop and fruit production presentations for beginning farmers archived
Presentations on a wide variety of crop production topics for people new to agriculture are available online and free for viewing.
New farmers or those interested in new enterprises on their farm are invited to view any or all of the archived Michigan State University Extension Beginning Farmer Webinar Series. The series has been on-going since 2012 and a total of 36 educational programs have since been recorded and are available for online viewing at the Beginning Farmer Webinar Series website.
The 16 selections below directly address vegetable, field crop and fruit production topics. Each program is a “stand-alone” educational seminar presented by one or more MSU staff, with help from a few non-MSU presenters.
- Getting started with plant-based enterprises (U.P. specific), April 12, 2012, by Jim Isleib
- Getting started with field crops and hay, Feb. 6, 2013, by Dan Rossman, Vicki Morrone, Doo-Hong Min, Jim Isleib, Warren Schauer
- Getting started with field-grown vegetables, Feb. 27, 2013, by Warren Schauer, Hal Hudson, Jim Isleib
- Getting started with hops, Feb. 24, 2014, by Rob Sirrine
- Getting started with expanded vegetable production, March 19, 2014, by Hal Hudson
- Getting started with hoophouses, April 2, 2014, by Adam Montri and Rowan Bunce
- Getting started with vegetable plasticulture, Oct. 22, 2014, by Ron Goldy
- Getting started with small grains – Part 1 and Getting started with small grains – Part 2, Jan. 26, 2015 by Jim Isleib
- Getting started with IPM (integrated pest management), Feb. 4, 2015, by Erin Lizotte
- Getting started with beekeeping for honey and pollination, Feb. 13, 2015, by Ben Phillips
- Getting started with farm food safety, Feb. 23, 2015, by Phil Tocco, Michelle Walk, Mariel Borgman
- Getting started with hops production, March 11, 2015, by Rob Sirrine, Erin Lizotte
- Getting started with season extenders, March 16, 2015 by Collin Thompson
- Getting started with small fruit production, March 23, 2015, by Bob Tritten
- Getting started with managing soil, irrigation and fertilization interactions, April 1, 2015, by Ron Goldy
- Getting started with cover crops in field crop rotations, April 6, 2015, by Dean Baas
A new series of 23 MSU Extension Beginning Farmer Webinars for 2016 is planned for January through April. There will be a $10 fee for each program, or you may register for all 23 and get a 50 percent discount. Registration for the new series is at the 2016 Beginning Farmer Webinar Series Registration page.