The MSU Native American Business Institute
Assisting Native youth explore their potential in the field of business!
Through Michigan State University and Michigan State University Extension there are many opportunities for Indigenous students and community members to build their knowledge base and increase their skills in the area of business. One of those programs is the MSU Broad College of Business-Multicultural Business Programs Native American Business Institute | Multicultural Business Programs (NABI).
This program creates an opportunity for students in high school (grades 10 -12) to learn more about the college and to explore what their interests are in the area of business. According to the NABI, “participants work with MSU admissions officers, college counselors, tribal community leaders, and corporate representatives in a seven-day “business boot-camp” that prepares students for the college and exposes them to numerous academic and professional opportunities.” There are many items that the participants will learn while attending the week-long program such as:
- Developing time management and study skills
- Receiving tips and strategies for gaining admission to college
- Learning how to navigate the financial aid/scholarship jungle
- Forming lifelong friendships with other Native youth, MSU students and MSU support staff
- Strengthening communication and interpersonal skills
- Attending corporate, cultural and leadership development workshops
- Cultivating a deeper appreciation and understanding of their culture
- Fostering networks with business leaders and other professionals
- Exposing students to various careers and opportunities in business