Stressed? Peppermint can help!
We all know stress can have negative effects. The next time you or a child you know is feeling stressed, remember the research on peppermint.
Stress is inevitable. Adults feel it all the time – at work, in the grocery store, in traffic and even at home. Kids also feel the effects of stress. Especially with the end of school drawing near, it’s no surprise to hear that kids taking end-of-the year tests to show their knowledge gained over the past several months are feeling the pressure. For many kids, that can be very stressful. There are all sorts of tips, tricks and old wives tales to help kids remember things they have been taught and lower their stress levels, but have you ever wondered if research actually backs up any of them?
One trick you may have heard of is kids eating peppermint candy during tests. Could it actually be true that peppermint helps them perform better while reducing their stress? Research says yes!
- Participants exposed to the aroma of peppermint and peppermint oil experienced enhanced memory, increased alertness and increased processing speeds, according to the International Journal of Neuroscience.
- Scents can have positive effects on mood, stress reduction, sleep enhancement, self-confidence and physical and cognitive performance, according to Theresa Molnar, Sense of Smell Institute (research and education division of The Fragrance Foundation).
- Peppermint can improve the quality of life for many people though enhancing mental and athletic performance, cognitive functioning, digestive processes and pain tolerance, according to Bryan Raudenbush, Wheeling Jesuit University.
Furthermore, a study on the effects of peppermint and cinnamon on drivers conducted by the Wheeling Jesuit University showed remarkable results that included:
- Peppermint is associated with decreased anxiety and fatigue while driving.
- Peppermint and cinnamon are associated with decreased frustration and greater levels of alertness while driving.
Remember, the next time you or a child you know is facing a stressful situation, consider that research says peppermint can help! Peppermint candy, tea or oil can be just what you need to find your focus and ease anxiety.