Stress isn’t just an adult problem
Kids can get stressed out, too! There are several helpful stress-reducing activities to help cure the tension and pressure they’re feeling.
What to do with those children that are “acting up?” Many times those children are stressed about something in life. Play is a great stress reliever for kids and adults alike. Michigan State University Extension has the following ideas for stress-reducing activities:
- Paper ripping: Let your kids have a “ripping good time” with old newspapers. Give them a stack to rip and tear in any way that they want and as much as they please.
- Finger-painting: Cover a table with an old plastic tablecloth, shower curtain or lots of newspaper. Give the children large pieces of paper and washable finger-paint. An alternative to actual paint would be pudding or whipped cream, that way they could have a yummy treat as they created their masterpiece.
- Active play: Make sure that your children have active play every day. It is very important that children run around, play with balls and get outside if the weather permits. This is good physical activity and great for stress relief.
- Laugh together: Take time to be silly together. Sing a silly song or read funny poems or stories. Laughter is a great way to prevent stress and being silly gets the mind off worrying stressors.
- Play dough: Give your child play dough to be creative with. You can also make your own play dough using this recipe…
What you will need:
3 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 cup water
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1. Mix the flour and salt in the bowl.
2. Add the water, a few drops of food coloring, and oil.
3. Mix together.
4. Knead until smooth.
Have fun with your children while reducing stress and tension! There are RELAX: Alternatives to Anger classes throughout the state to help parents combat anger and stress.