Step Forward Michigan is still open for business in 2017
If you are a Michigan resident, own a home and are behind on your mortgage or property taxes, you still may be eligible to receive assistance from Step Forward Michigan in 2017.
If you are a Michigan resident, own a home and are behind on your mortgage or property taxes, you still may be eligible to receive assistance from Step Forward Michigan in 2017. The first threshold for eligibility require that you:
- Be a Michigan resident
- Have an ownership interest in the property and be able to authorize new mortgage lien on the property
- Occupy the property as your primary residence throughout a certain time frame
- Have experienced a qualifying involuntary hardship such as loss of a job or income caused by a medical condition or a significant one-time event
- Have an income that is sufficient to sustain your payments going forward
- Have limited cash reserves
- Have not previously received assistance from Step Forward Michigan
Homeowners should consult the Step Forward Michigan website to see the details for eligibility. In addition, you should be prepared to offer documentation of the required information as well as the qualifying hardship. The assistance is available in the form of a forgivable loan paid direct to your mortgage company or County Treasurer. You can fill out an online application and submit all of the documentation yourself, or you can seek the assistance of a Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) certified housing counselor. MSHDA certified housing counselors should be able to answer other questions that you have in regard to foreclosure or other resources as well.
You can visit Michigan State University Extension or get in contact with Extension professionals. MSU Extension has a team of MSHDA certified housing counselors as well as other experts. Contact an expert in your area on the website.
Getting back on track with your mortgage or property taxes can be the first step to regaining your financial health for 2017. While the assistance from Step Forward Michigan remains available at this time, the program is subject to change. Therefore, it is important to act as soon as possible if you have the need and believe that you may qualify.