Should I accept this job offer?
Received a job offer? Here are a few things to consider before you accept.
You submitted your resume, had an amazing interview, thanked the company for their time and they’ve offered you the job! Now what? Do you accept it right away or are there things you should consider first?
Before accepting a job offer, you need to work through an evaluation process by asking yourself some questions. This protects you from making the wrong career choice. Consider asking yourself the following questions before accepting the job:
- Do you have a solid understanding of the work you’ll be doing every day?
- Are you comfortable with the company’s culture and work environment? Where is the location you will be working from?
- How will your success be measured? What are the specific goals and outcomes, and how will you be evaluated?
- Who will be your boss/supervisor?
- What are the business hours and what schedule will you be expected to work?
- What is the start date and when does the company need to have your decision?
- What does the benefits package include and for what benefits are you eligible? When does your eligibility begin?
By answering these questions you should be able to determine if this job is the job for you. In addition to these, there are many online resources about questions to ask before accepting a job.
Looking for other career preparation advice? Michigan State University Extension has many resources on the workforce preparation website. Workforce preparation refers to the skill-building and educational programming and training done with individuals to prepare them for work.