Resolve to help your kids gain lifetime skills and opportunities – join 4-H!
Michigan 4-H Youth Development offers many opportunities to help support family interests and allow personal growth for children and adults alike.
Looking for ways your family can learn and play together? Resolve to join 4-H in 2014! Michigan 4-H Youth Development offers many opportunities to help support family interests and allow personal growth for children and adults alike. The four H’s stand for head (decision-making, setting goals), heart (compassion), hands (serving others) and health (actively taking care of mind and body). Michigan 4-H trains and supports adult volunteers to provide children aged 5 to 19 with opportunities that will:
- Build important life skills such as communication, problem-solving and critical thinking.
- Help them learn in ways that are appropriate for their age and developmental stage.
- Help them learn to make friends and work as a team.
- Allow them to experience the value of diversity.
- Offer an emotionally and physically safe learning environment for their educational development.
- Help them grow as citizens through leadership development and service to their communities.
These outcomes for your child are what drive the guiding principles of Michigan 4-H programming which is part of Michigan State University Extension. Youth ages 5 to 19, from cities, suburbs, towns and rural settings participate as county 4-H members across the state. Adults, 19-years-old and over, can join as volunteers.
Your point of entry is through your county MSU Extension 4-H program coordinator. 4-H members choose from a range of projects within a variety of program areas, based on their interests and the availability of a knowledgeable adult in the community to serve as a mentor/leader. Through these projects, members set goals, learn the skills needed to achieve goals and demonstrate their skills at events like county fairs, speaking contests and other competitions. 4-H also provides state, national and international opportunities for families to work and learn together.