Rebates available for 2011: Energy conservation improvements to your greenhouse business

Editor’s note: This article is from the archives of the MSU Crop Advisory Team Alerts. Check the label of any pesticide referenced to ensure your use is included

Most of the major utility companies in Michigan that are supplying natural gas or electricity to homes and businesses have some form of residential or commercial  energy efficiency rebate programs available. For example, they will provide rebates for greenhouses to:

  • upgrade lighting( work lighting)
  • improve heating boilers
  • improve forced air furnaces
  • upgrade motors to variable frequency drives
  • improve coolers
  • install energy curtains
  • install IR greenhouse poly film
  • improve water heaters

These are just a few that have been mentioned.

Millions of dollars are available from your utility provider each calendar year, you just have to apply to them for their programs. There are rules that you must follow,  but growers who have already participated indicate that the forms are not complicated and the money is worth the time spent.

Most utilities will mail you a rebate check within 6-8 weeks after receipt of a final application. Projects must result in an improvement in energy efficiency to qualify.

Here are web sites, listed by utility provider, for you to look at for details:

Consumers Energy’s Energy Efficiency program:

http://www.consumersenergy. com/eeprograms/Landing.aspx? id=750

DTE’s program:

Over 50% of their 2011 funds have been committed already!

Michigan Gas Utilities, SEMCO , Cloverland, Daggett, Indiana-Michigan Power, Alpena Power, UPPCO and Excel Energy programs are handled by Efficiency United:

Most of the other  companies along the west coast of Michigan can go to:  – there is a drop-down list of the cities covered which links you to the appropriate program.

I hope you find this information useful. If you have any production or business questions related to your greenhouse operation feel free to contact either Jeanne Himmelein in the MSUE Kalamazoo County office at 269- 384-8010 or Thomas Dudek, MSUE  Ottawa County office, at 616-994-4580.

Related Events

Related Articles

Related Resources