New MSU web resource for cherry growers
Editor’s note: This article is from the archives of the MSU Crop Advisory Team Alerts. Check the label of any pesticide referenced to ensure your use is included.
We have rolled out a new cherry website for this season that is designed to concentrate all of our MSU cherry-related resources into a “one-stop shopping” location. Please check us out on the web at www.cherries.msu.edu. Throughout the year, we will continue to expand this site. Presently, you will find:
- Current season links to the CAT Alert and newsletters produced by the Northwest Michigan Horticultural Research Station.
- Photos and descriptions of common insect pests, weeds and diseases of cherries.
- Photos and descriptions of beneficial insects.
- Weather and climate topics including cold hardiness, use of degree days, etc.
- Varieties and rootstocks information.
- Tips on specific horticultural practices.
- Recommendations for effective pollination and information about pollinators.
- Links to labor management, marketing and financial management resources.
- A directory of MSUE local contacts for cherry growers.
- Presentations from the Northwest Michigan Orchard and Vineyard Show.
Also, look forward to an apple website in the near future.