MSU Annual Trials website
Editor’s note: This article is from the archives of the MSU Crop Advisory Team Alerts. Check the label of any pesticide referenced to ensure your use is included.
following information was obtained from the Floriculture Area of
Expertise Team web site and should be of interest to retail garden
centers, landscapers and grounds maintenance foreman in Michigan.
As you know, the MSU Trial Gardens have been trialing new annual flower varieties for over 25 years on the campus in the Horticulture Demonstration Gardens. This site has information that all retailers who sell or maintain landscape plants in Michigan would find useful. To visit, go to: http://msutrials.ath.cx/
Providing the best performing annuals to your customer is the most efficient way of increasing sales. If the end user is successful with their experience, they will purchase again and again. Information on the site includes the following items:
- About the MSU Annual Trials: General information about the gardens and our cultural practices.
databases: Search each year’s entries by genus, series, cultivar,
company or rating. Database includes notes and photos of everything in
summaries: Best performing plants. Divided into seeded, vegetative and
container. Can be viewed on-line or downloaded as a PDF or Word file.
- Spartan selects: These are the best of the best for each trialing season. Find the list of plants, information and photos.
- Garden plant showcase: Information about our annual grower open house.
- Weather information: Summary of annual growing conditions.
- All-America selections: Link to the AAS site.
- Calendar: Calendar of all garden events for the current year.
- Finding us: Directions, parking and maps.