June grazing and pasture field day will feature farm tours and breakout sessions
Participants in the Hillsdale County Grazing and Pasture Field Day will enjoy a full day of intensive knowledge and sharing seminars, and farm tours.
On June 25, 2016, Greener Grass Farms and the Hillsdale Conservation District will be hosting a field day for livestock farmers who manage pastures in their grazing programs. This event will feature farm tours and great educational breakout sessions to choose from.
The Hillsdale County Grazing & Pasture Field Day promises to be a full day of intensive knowledge and sharing seminars along with farm tours. This event will provide the opportunity to see firsthand pasture management practices being implemented on grazing systems, time to network with fellow farmers and learn from Michigan State University faculty, Michigan State University Extension educators and industry professionals.
The educational breakout sessions include:
- Improving Soil Health – learn from experts on ways to improve your soil. There will be sessions on:
- Soil Sampling and Understanding Soil Test Results,
- Soil Biology on the Farm,
- MSU Rainfall Simulator Demonstration,
- Economics & A Systems Approach to Cover Crops and
- Increasing Profitability with Improved Soil Health.
- Regulations and Resources for Direct Marketing Meat – a session will be provided to cover regulatory requirements for marketing meat to consumers and resources to assist producers in marketing their products.
- Economics of Grazing – learn from experts on grazing and profitability. There will be sessions on:
- Research from the MSU AgBioResearch Lake City Research Center on Grassing Finishing Beef,
- Sustainable Grazing Systems for Sheep and Beef, and
- Small Farm Poultry Production.
- Grazing in Hillsdale County, Michigan – learn from a local producer panel on experiences gained on the quest for improved grazing techniques.