IPM Academy to offer continuing education credits
Need more continuing education credits in 2012? The IPM Academy on February 20-21 will offer 16 Pesticide Recertification credits, 9 Certified Crop Advisor credits, MAEAP Phase I credits, and 7 Certified Green Industry Professional credits!
Integrated pest management (IPM) is an effective and environmentally-sound approach to pest management. Michigan State University Extension’s IPM Academy will focus on introducing the concepts of IPM and prepare participants to implement IPM on the farm or in the garden. The Academy is designed to assist newcomers to pest management, but can be a valuable review for growers, nurserymen, gardeners, or landscapers looking to brush up their IPM skills or bring new farm workers up to speed.
On day one of the academy, 8 commercial or private core pesticide recertification credits are available. On day two, participants can receive up to 8 private core applicator credits or 8 commercial core credits in categories 1A, 1B, 1C or 3B. Certified Crop Advisor Credits (9), Certified Green Industry Professional continuing education credits (7), and MAEAP Phase I credits will also be available.
On day one, the IPM Academy will focus on topics that prepare participants to adopt the latest integrated pest management practices through introductory discussions covering entomology, scouting, plant pathology and more. On the second day of the program, participants will have the opportunity to opt into two concurrent sessions that address pest and disease issues and identify IPM resources in the following cropping systems:
- Field crops; corn and soybeans
- Pome fruit
- Small grains and forages; wheat, alfalfa, and mixed hay
- Stone fruit
- Strawberries and raspberries
- Vegetables; cucurbits, cole crops, onions, celery, and carrots
- Vegetables; peas, beans, sweet corn, asparagus, tomatoes, and peppers
- Woody ornamentals; conifers, and Christmas trees
- Woody ornamentals; deciduous trees and shrubs
- "Interested in sustainable pest management? Try the IPM Academy"
- "Sierra Nevada Brewery’s farm manager to headline IPM Academy’s hops session Feb. 20-21"