Handy Bt Trait Table for U.S. corn production updated for 2017
Corn growers can use the 2017 BT Trait Table to keep track of Bt corn traits, efficacy and refuge requirements.
It’s a new year, time for a new Handy Bt Trait Table updated for 2017. This year brings a major change to the bulletin. After the frequent damage to Cry1F-traited hybrids by western bean cutworm during summer 2016, I worked with two colleagues to add a new column to the table. This column provides information on the insect x Bt combinations with documented field failures, resistance or cross-resistance.
The Handy Bt Trait Table updated for 2017 is posted on Michigan State University’s Field Crops Entomology website. I also posted a list of the citations for reduced effectiveness we used to create the new column.
I will be talking about the control problems with Cry1F on western bean cutworm at the following meetings this winter:
- Jan. 12, Pest and Crop Management Update Meeting at the Comfort Inn in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan.
- Jan. 13, Pest and Crop Management Update Meeting at the Saginaw Research and Extension Center north of Frankenmuth, Michigan.
- Jan. 20, Corn/Soybean Day at Founders Hall at Sauder Village in Archbold, Ohio.
- Feb. 20, Branch County Farmers Day in Coldwater, Michigan.
- Feb. 21, Pest and Crop Management Update Meeting at Cabela’s in Dundee, Michigan.
- Feb. 22, Pest and Crop Management Update Meeting at the Dowagiac Conservation Club in Dowagiac, Michigan.
- Feb. 23, Pest and Crop Management Update Meeting at the Sanilac Career Center north of Peck, Michigan.