Eggplant: Cooking series A-Z with SSG Sadler- Part 8a
Fire up the grill for eggplant.
Love it or hate it, eggplant seems to be a fan favorite today with many recipes that might fit your fancy. Eggplant is indigenous to northeast India, Burma and stretches out to many Asian countries. Eggplant is a fruit that comes in many shades of purple, green and white; it is usually oblong in shape with a soft skin.
Eggplant has been known to reduce weight and lower cholesterol levels in animals. It is also very healthy containing vital minerals and nutrients such as vitamin B6,B1, B2, B3, B5, B9, C, E, K, calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium and zinc.
We will look at a dish today that will allow you to enjoy some grilled eggplant that I hope you enjoy.
Grilled Eggplant with Bleu Cheese and Roasted Walnuts
2 medium eggplants
1 cup whole walnuts
1 cup bleu cheese
2 cup Italian dressing
2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon onion powder
1/3 teaspoon sesame seed oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
2 cup balsamic vinegar
- In a bowl combine your pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, sesame seed oil and Italian dressing. Marinate 3/4 of sliced, length wise, eggplant overnight.
- Take whole walnuts and roast them on top of the stove. Set aside.
- On the stove reduce two cups of balsamic vinegar. Set aside.
- Place eggplant on a hot grill for 7 to 10 minutes, or until a fork slides through easily.
- When done place on a plate, sprinkle bleu cheese and walnuts on top, drizzle with balsamic vinegar reduction and enjoy.